Heritage Owners Club

This Thing Any Good?

Yooper

If you go with the popular response I've read here, it's too heavy.

If you go by your ears, you'll find it's a damn nice amp. I've never met an amp that sounded good AND was light weight. It takes iron to make a musical transformer and this amp has got what it takes. Even if you don't care for some subtle nuances of the twin, it's a Fender and the WWW is packed with ways to augment it.

I say: Go for it!

Looks like she's dripping with mojo....

Or it had dripped with mojo, and the mojo's all dried now.... It's just me, but I love slapped out looking equipment...if it sounds great. Bet it's in there! Maybe a little tweezing, and a tube or two.

I think it's a bit of piece of junk. A tear in the grill cloth, torn corners on the tolex, rusty screws.

I'll give you $80 cash, just to keep you from the embarrassment of pulling that thing out of the trunk at your next gig! :evil4:

This Deluxe Reverb is an interesting relic. I've been learning some more about the amp. The "new speaker" replaces the mixed review Oxford. Perhaps it was blown. It turns out the replacement speaker is older than the amp itself. It's a Jensen C12 PS, built in "Sweet Home Chicago" back in 1967. That should lend some Chicago Blues mojo to the amp. I have yet to find a meaning for the "PS" designation. It's reported to have a power rating a "couple watts less than the 50 watt 'N' model", so that should suffice

This is going to need a bit of rehab I think. The "rectumfried" (Rectifier) tube is a bit wobbly and there was some noise when first powered up.

After that cleared, we were in happy "Toneville"! It loves my Eagle Classic. I'll be able to give it a louder test with the single coils on my Tele, H-150 P-90s, and the matching '73 Strat later this evening.

It's looking like this amp has found a home. Sorry, Rich, despite your generous offer, and as much as I could use the $80, I'll just have to put up with old "Scarface".

I got a lot of good info from Fender Guru: http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-reverb

Both the Deluxe Reverb (DR) and Princeton Reverb (PR) “survived” the CBS silverface periods with minor changes. Many people consider the silverface amps just as sonically good as the blackface models. Being almost a blackface amp with a new faceplate (wrong for collectors), the silverface models became popular value-for-the-money amps. Collectors hunt the blackface models and players hunt the silverface for it’s quality and price. The push/pull volume boost was installed in 1977 by CBS. The circuit was then significantly different from the blackface circuit.

The DR is a small/medium-sized amp with an ability to deliver both sparkling clean tones and low wattage breakup at 22W with 6V6 tubes and relatively small transformers (power and output). It has found its way in to more recording studios, clubs and bars than any other Fender amp. It has met many players’ expectations. It is just powerful enough to cut through in practice in a band with a drummer and, unlike some bigger amps, it will reach its sweet spot at a reasonable volume. It has the typical blackface 60′s sparkle with a scooped clean sound just like the bigger Fender brothers, just with more smooth breakup, sag and compression. The smaller brother Princeton Reverb is rolling off more top frequencies and breaks up earlier with more warmth producing a brownface type of tone. It will not cut through the mix as easily as the stinging tone of the Deluxe Reverb.

What does the Deluxe Reverb sound like?

It sounds like most blackface/silverface amps, full American tone with sparkle and punch. Clean tones are great as on all these Fenders. It has 22w clean headroom and breaks up at around 4 on the volume knob with a single coil guitar.

Sounds good to me.

Since Deluxe Reverbs made before 1977 are so similar to blackface circuits, I won't bother with the easy mods to convert it.

Cranked "Scarface" up to 7. Wow. These guys put out a mean 22 watts, and it sounds like no pedal I've ever heard.

And what a rich reverb! Not that I could ever need that past about a 2 setting.

"Damn nice amp". - Steiner

Like no other I've played. AND it's twenty pounds lighter than my Boogie.

Is that a rhetorical question? Your the guy with the amp!

Looks like she's dripping with mojo, hopefully I'll get to meet her in person next Friday.

We'd sure love to hear a nice 335 with Seths through this one, wouldn't we?

We'd sure love to hear a nice 335 with Seths through this one, wouldn't we?

I was already looking forward to playing with you guys next week but now I'm beyond excited!

I'd like to hear as many guitars thru "scarface" as time permits but yes I'll definitely be bringing a H-535 w/ seths but not a 335...............I quit that stuff years ago :icon_pirat:.

H-535 w/ seths but not a 335

Oops. Keyboard Dyslexia. Good thing you know what I meant.

So it's NDA, New Amp Day. :icon_joker:

Try a 12DW7 in V4, it will make the reverb knob a little more usable. Your current '2' setting will move nearer to '4' and fine adjustments will become easier.

Try a 12DW7 in V4, it will make the reverb knob a little more usable. Your current '2' setting will move nearer to '4' and fine adjustments will become easier.

Thanks for the tip, H.

I must say I've learned more about amps and guitars through this forum this past year than I have in the entire previous decade.

Thanks, all.

Give you$100 American dollars for it!!

And the bids go up. This must be worth its weight in Frontmans after all.

For all the abuse its seen, it really sings. I'm falling in love with this old wreck. It seems to make every guitar played through it sound incredible.

And it just may make an appearance at PSP this year.

Archived