Heritage Owners Club

H150 or H157?

jdd55

I'm looking at buying one of these, but am not aware of the differences (other than gold hardward). There are a lot of good used ones out there, but hard to choose from. Look forward to all of your input. Thanks.

In a nut shell ....

150 - single binding on the top only, rosewood board, trapezoid inlay, nickel hardware

157 - multiple binding front and rear, ebony board, block inlays, bound headstock, inlaid logo on headstock, gold hardware

150s are also to be found with bound headstock and inlaid logo, they may have been custom ordered that way.

There are a lot more used 150s out there than 157s.

If you want multiple binding go with the 157. They do it in white.

As far as I know they don't do multiple binding with cream.

I have ordered both with different specs. I've always like bound headstocks

which you can order on the 150.

Whether your get a 150 or 157, you will love it....and then lust after other 150s and 157s....and 535s and 555s...and 550s and 575s...and Eagles...and Prospects and Millies....and.....well, the more you look, the more you like.

I came here looking only for an Eagle jazz box last year. Now I have that, as well as a couple 150s. Drool happens.

Any difference in pickups? I'm in a classic rock band and we anything from soul, r&b, and rock. I've got an H555 and use it sometimes, but am drawn to the 150 or 157. Thanks.

I prefer H157s, simply because they seem to feel more rigid with less extraneous hardware vibration to me. I know this sounds like BS to me as I read it, but I am fairly certain I could judge between the two blindfolded.

Now the difference may be accounted for in the degree to which a H157 is handled with greater care. In general, if you pay more for a guitar, you have a tendency to protect it and not throw it around to the same degree you would a less expensive guitar and in the long run, the protection ensure the guitar stays tighter longer.

My two cents

You can find the occasional blinged out 150. Also the H-150 deluxe comes with a multibound top in creme and single bound head stock. Personally, I prefer the aesthetic of a bound headstock as well as the extra protection it affords against dings.

The more I think on it, the more convinced I become that question might be better phrased as "Which to buy first?: H150 or H157"

I also went with the 157. I like the bound headstock and the inlay. I also wanted the ebony fretboard. You also have binding on the back where the 150 is more plain with rounded edges. If you are having a custom build, then you can choose whatever pickups you want, Plus, with either, its a relatively simple matter to swap out pickups (as opposed to doing it on a 535 or 555).

I don't know if I hear the difference, but the feel is better to me.

That said, if I ever order another, it will be an LW. For now, the Milli covers that ground well.

Thanks for the advice. I'll let everyone know what I finally decide on.

In a nutshell, the 150 is like a Les Paul Standard, and a 157 is like a Les Paul Custom. I've had both, but in the end I prefer a 150.

That's exactly how it is: H150 = LP Standard - H157 = LP Custom, the only difference being that the equivalent Standard or Custom, in terms of quality - playability & Tone, would have to come out of the Gibson Custom Shop.

Personally, I also prefer the H150 to the H157; same with their Gibson counterpart, the H150 seems to be a better all round guitar with a better top end & a much more dynamic sound.

Heck, there are also more people that seem to favour Standards to Customs (with the exception of Peter Frampton and Robert Fripp...?)

I prefer the bling of the 157 (as well as LP Customs) over the 150 (vs. LP Standards).

However, the ones that get taken out for a night of guitar bliss is usually my 150, a great workingman's tool. Sounds and plays great, and just enought dings on it, so I don't worry about any more 'beauty marks'.

Conversely, my favorite Gibson LP for gigs is a 68 Custom Reissue. This and my 150 are a toss up for playability, and just plain bad ass guitar tones.

You really can't go wrong either way. Biggest difference as mentioned is going to be the multi-ply binding, block inlays vs traps and ebony vs rosewood (usually. Both my 150 and 157 have ebony boards). That being said go for what speaks to you as an individual. If you prefer the look of a specific 150 over a 157 then go for it. At the end of the day it's about what you yourself are going to be happy with. Plus regardless of what you purchase you're getting a fine truly handcrafted instrument you can't get anywhere else. As far as electronics go, well usually they're similar. It just depends on what was put in the instrument originally or changed out. In recent years Heritage has offered a variety of different pickup types for their guitars, all of which are options for every guitar.

As MM said, it's all been pretty well covered, so it's down to preference.

I love H150s, but now that I have two 157s, I have to say that they are even better! Personal opinion only though.

That's exactly how it is: H150 = LP Standard - H157 = LP Custom, the only difference being that the equivalent Standard or Custom, in terms of quality - playability & Tone, would have to come out of the Gibson Custom Shop.

Personally, I also prefer the H150 to the H157; same with their Gibson counterpart, the H150 seems to be a better all round guitar with a better top end & a much more dynamic sound.

Heck, there are also more people that seem to favour Standards to Customs (with the exception of Peter Frampton and Robert Fripp...?)

Don't forget Marc Bolan (T-Rex), Adam Jones (Tool) , Steve Jones (Sex Pistols); Randy Rhoads (Ozzy); Ace Frehley (Kiss); Justin Hawkins (The Darkness); Zak Wylde (Ozzy); MIck Jones (Foreigner) John Sykes (Thin Lizzy) ; Tommy Shaw (Styx); Mick Ronson - the list goes on, all seemed to prefer the Custom-

H-150 and H-157's are so similar , it comes down to the individual instrument really. Variables in neck profiles, hardware, pickups, finish can be the determining factors.

Of the ones that I have, my #1 is a 150 .. but there is something really magical to the 157 black beauty .

IM001319+edit.JPG

I'm liking the transparent black flametops. W O W. 150 vs 157 is kinda the same decision between a les paul standard and a les paul custom. How about one of each, then you just have to decide which one to get first. You will save some money finding a 150 as there are usually more of them available.

• 2 months later...

Archived