Heritage Owners Club

Problems with my custom H555

Ghostbound

Hey there, gang. So, in the ensuing months since i received my H555, i noticed a certain flubbiness in the action/intonation of the guitar. I took it to my luthier/tech fellow, who revealed to me that the fretwork and set-up were, in his words, done by "Stevie Wonder and a blow-torch". He had to put on a new saddle, and he also had to shimmy the nut and readjust everything. He almost had to hack into the bridge to get it to work. The nut saddles were cut very poorly. I am, needless to say, more than a bit angry at such shoddy fretwork on a brand new guitar. My tech person has advised me to call up either Heritage or Wolfe in an effort to get a brand new nut and a new gold bridge for free. Thoughts?

- Alec

As a Heritage Dealer I am surprised by your post. I have received 5 brand new guitars in the last couple weeks that were all exceptional pieces! I professionally adjusted the setups to my low action specs and did not have to touch a nut slot or fret. I did adjust the truss rods to a very slight relief and lock the Tonepros in position.

YOUR dealer should have been your first step towards any resolutions... let Them see the issues. I do not believe your issues are a common occurrence but these are handcrafted guitars. There is a warranty on new guitars.

Heritage # 269 385-5721 M-Thurs

Wishing you prosperity in all your resolutions!

I too feel your pain on this one. This past September I purchased a brand new Heritage H-157LE. The fretwork was utterly atrocious! My Luthier could not believe any guitar maker would send a guitar out with that bad of fretwork. I contacted the shop I purchased it from (Chicago Music Exchange) and explained my case, they took care of it. They reimbursed me for all the work. Unfortunately I've heard more stories about quality issues with the guitars coming out of K-zoo. I won't go into the reasons as to why I believe they are happening, as it would be only my opinion. Definitely get in touch with Wolfe and/or Heritage. I would like to think Jay would take care of these issues. And I do agree that they are handcrafted guitars, so imperfections can occur. But you'd like for these things to be caught before they get out of the factory.

You should definitely go back to Wolfe and get those parts no charge. Also frankly they should pay the luthier bill to make the expensive "custom" guitar they sold you playable. There's a frequent poster on this forum that has complained many times about their shoddy fretwork and nut saddle cuts. Here is another example of just that, would make me leary to buy a custom order for just that reason. If I paid $2500(or whatever) for a custom guitar and had to immediately take it to a luthier to make it right I would be more than a little pissed off.

I'm not going to slam Heritage, but its not the first time I've heard the nuts weren't cut properly.

I've read in a few places that manufactures intentionally ship out guitars that need a final setup at the stores.

Is it possible Heritage does that? Perhaps.

I am surprised that Wolfe didn't notice the problem either.

Also, those fretboards are made well in advance. Its highly possible, since the factory doesn't have a great climate control system, the frets could move during the build process and even shipping. The boards lay around for sometime before they are used on a build. Lot's of "unknowns" here, but the factory or Wolfe should be resolving the issue for you.

I am surprised that Wolfe didn't notice the problem either.

Also, those fretboards are made well in advance. Its highly possible, since the factory doesn't have a great climate control system, the frets could move during the build process and even shipping. The boards lay around for sometime before they are used on a build. Lot's of "unknowns" here, but the factory or Wolfe should be resolving the issue for you.

I thought that Wolfe did PLEK jobs to all their Heritage guitars.

shimmy the nut? I thought the nut issues at Heritage were largely solved, other than some not as low as some would like. Sorry to hear this black cloud has shown up on your new guitar day.

Get that 555 in right order and start having the enjoyment that should come with an instrument of that order... hopefully some judicious work on it will get things right.

The hand cut guitar nuts that Heritage install are not their strong point. I wish they would install pre-made Graph Tech Tusq nuts on their guitars right at the factory. But that wouldn't be very traditional and Heritage is heavy into "traditional".

Heritage guitars and Gibson guitars can both benefit a lot from a PLEK job at the factory. However, of the two, only Gibson is pleking their guitars at the factory. So, while Heritage does produce a playable guitar from the factory without a plek job, there is certainly room for improvement.

I would not make the previous statement if I didn't have some proof to back me up. Rockabilly69 was right when he talked about fretboard and nut issues with Heritage guitars (which to some aren't really issues at all). Also, I spent an unimaginable amount of money on guitars during the calender year of 2014 (cashed out my 401k and racked up some debt) and I bought a lot of brand new guitars. For the purpose this thread, I'll just stick to the Heritage and Gibson brands. Two Heritage and one Gibson. All three fretboards were playable but not perfect. The Gibson fretboard was almost perfect because it received a basic plek at the factory. If it weren't for that one detail, the Heritage and Gibson fretboards would have been identical. The scans on the plek machines don't lie. One can see the differences very clearly on the graphical scan results that the human eye cannot see. All three benefited from a PLEK PRO service, even the Gibson which had already received a basic plek job at the factory.

Maybe some of you aren't as picky as me. That's fine. Maybe you are happy with the factory setups. Great!

Me? I can't live with any fret buzz on any fret regardless of how unnoticeable it may be anyone else. I'm picky. That's just me.

Buying a brand new Heritage guitar and taking it straight to someone who knows how to use a plek machine is a perfectly reasonable expectation and you are still getting a guitar as good or better than a Gibson for a better price.

To me it's all part of buying a hand crafted guitar. No big deal. YMMV

I thought that Wolfe did PLEK jobs to all their Heritage guitars.

My understanding is it's extra.

This^^^

Mine did not come with a plek service. I got a great deal on the guitar so I didn't fuss about it. Just took it to my local guy and got it done here.

I'll say it again, all three of my H150s required nut AND fret work. My last few Gibsons...

2013 USA Firebird- perfect nut and fret work, setup perfectly from factory (Memphis) Electronics were abysmal, so I gutted it and started over. I replaced all the hardware (minus tuners) and electronics. Now it's a GREAT guitar.

2012 Historic ES330 - Great fret work, but higher nut that I would have liked (Memphis) Best elect guitar I've bought in years.

2014 50's reissue J45 - perfect nut and fret work, setup perfectly from factory (Bozeman) Best acoustic guitar I've bought in years, and is my main gig rig.

2013 USA Les Paul Special - good fretwork and nut, but setup basic bad (Memphis) I changed the hardware but very nice even in stock form. I replaced the bridge and inserts, and the tailpiece. Electronics are all stock stuff and it sounds very good.

2011 Gibson ES335, proper height nut and decent fretwork, but I found divots in the fretboard and binding from the fret files. (Memphis) Although I loved the sound of this guitar, I traded this guitar away!

luthiers have a way of calling themselves luthiers when sometimes they are nothin but guitar techs..lots of hot wind in that industry..if i have a problem with a guitar the way it came out of a factory,i'd just call the factory and let the option be theirs to call the shots. complaining and badmouthing the manufacturer on the conjecture of a luthier(who got paid)is bad buisness..especially since you did things out of order. i have four heritage guitars, my heritages are top shelf guitars..someone (the tech maybe) is blowing smoke. most pro's change nuts,have bridges refitted and have frets dressed or shaved..i oughta know.....it ain't nothing. and luthiers (the B.S kind)are always looking to make themselves some work..i'll bet that luthier isn't qualified to work at heritage!

Well said IronMike. Red flag words... done by "Stevie Wonder and a blow-torch"....had to put on a new saddle, and he also had to shimmy the nut.....had to hack into the bridge to get it to work

-He is stating that a bridge is bad, needs new saddle?

- SHIMMY a nut!! This guy would never have got my work!

Well said IronMike. Red flag words... done by "Stevie Wonder and a blow-torch"....had to put on a new saddle, and he also had to shimmy the nut.....had to hack into the bridge to get it to work

-He is stating that a bridge is bad, needs new saddle?

- SHIMMY a nut!! This guy would never have got my work!

Sounds like Brian Williams found his new gig!

:icon_blackeye:

Shim the nut, ok. Wouldnt a luthier just replace and cut a new nut.

As far as the bridge goes, well, The bidge on my H150 was really average. In fact, shockingly bad.

The bridge grooves were not the problem in my situation but the point of attempted repair or disguise.

The whole bridge, stop tail, pickups and neck do not line up. They messed it up ridiculously as far as straight lines go.

In an attempt to hide the fault they re grooved the bridge, which put the pick ups out of line and a slight angle between the stop tail and bridge saddles.

Having said that, I have had the guitar for 8yrs and have played the guts out of it and loved every minute of it. I replaced the bridge and corrected as much as I could be bothered.

None of it has taken anything away from the guitar, its brilliant, I love it.

But, ya know, not what you would expect from a cheaper guitar at even a 10th of the price.

For the sake of argument, my tech/luthier only works on MY instruments and those of one of the bassists I play with. He doesn't do it for a living and has nothing to gain by telling me about shoddy fretwork beyond a clear conscience (He also is not charging me extra as he did his own diagnostic assessment on it). For what it's worth, those two things I mentioned were but two on a laundry list of things: the saddles were facing the wrong direction in addition to being poorly cut, the nut was poorly cut and improperly positioned, and the frets were hardly polished at all. Also, I am hardly alone in complaining about Heritage's fret-work straight out of the factory. If there is a problem, I want it fixed, and I should not have to send it back to the factory for the same people who created the problems in the first place to assess it. I want it corrected on my time as I am the one who shelled over $2500 for something that should be, by all accounts, perfect. This is not born out of a sense of entitlement and I am not slinging mud or talking shit. It was probably an oversight and I bear no grudge, but the problem should be fixed in the most professional of manners.

With that said, it's still a gorgeous instrument and will be fast on its way to becoming my main guitar, once the problems are fixed. Heritage will be sending me a new nut as well as an uncut bridge, Wolfe is reimbursing me for my luthier/tech's fees, and all will be well.

-Alec

luthiers have a way of calling themselves luthiers when sometimes they are nothin but guitar techs..lots of hot wind in that industry..if i have a problem with a guitar the way it came out of a factory,i'd just call the factory and let the option be theirs to call the shots. complaining and badmouthing the manufacturer on the conjecture of a luthier(who got paid)is bad buisness..especially since you did things out of order. i have four heritage guitars, my heritages are top shelf guitars..someone (the tech maybe) is blowing smoke. most pro's change nuts,have bridges refitted and have frets dressed or shaved..i oughta know.....it ain't nothing. and luthiers (the B.S kind)are always looking to make themselves some work..i'll bet that luthier isn't qualified to work at heritage!

I just saw this but I had to respond.... really? Well I know quite a few good luthiers, and I'm a well-above average guitar tech myself, and everyone that got a good look at my Heritages had a hard time with the nut and fret issues! So you are saying call the factory that made the mistakes to begin with and trust their opinion? All of mine needed nut replacement and had high frets that were keeping the action from being where I wanted it. I think I would trust an qualified outside opinion more. Although I think a good luthier can handle the fret work, I think Hangar has the best solution, go get-em pro plekk'ed! Fortunately these guitars are reasonably priced (especially used) so you still get a good deal after the work is done.

I want it corrected on my time as I am the one who shelled over $2500 for something that should be, by all accounts, perfect. This is not born out of a sense of entitlement and I am not slinging mud or talking shit. It was probably an oversight and I bear no grudge, but the problem should be fixed in the most professional of manners.

With that said, it's still a gorgeous instrument and will be fast on its way to becoming my main guitar, once the problems are fixed. Heritage will be sending me a new nut as well as an uncut bridge, Wolfe is reimbursing me for my luthier/tech's fees, and all will be well.

-Alec

I paid a little bit less than that for my H150 and I felt the same way when I saw the stuff that needed correcting. And like you, I also feel my new Heritage H150 is a beautiful instrument, but since I was going to mod mine with new pickups, bridge and tailpiece, I just got the fretwork done just to get the problem out of the way and get on to playing it. Since I got the frets done I really like mine.

I just saw this but I had to respond.... really? Well I know quite a few good luthiers, and I'm a well-above average guitar tech myself, and everyone that got a good look at my Heritages had a hard time with the nut and fret issues! So you are saying call the factory that made the mistakes to begin with and trust their opinion? All of mine needed nut replacement and had high frets that were keeping the action from being where I wanted it. I think I would trust an qualified outside opinion more. Although I think a good luthier can handle the fret work, I think Hangar has the best solution, go get-em pro plekk'ed! Fortunately these guitars are reasonably priced (especially used) so you still get a good deal after the work is done.

This. One thousand times THIS.

Archived