Heritage Owners Club

Heritage website could really use a refresh.

Vanschoyck

I called about my build yesterday, (10 months and counting) and they're closed for vacation, so no new info.

I was reading the thread on the "Incoming Millie" and looked up the specs and noticed they still list HRW pickups on the "Ultra." I suspect there are other examples.

My hand hurt too much to really do any playing today (elevendenitis?) so I'm doing other stuff.

That has been a topic of discussion for YEARS. Don't hold your breath.

Well, I want y'all to know that you can count on me to bring back the golden oldies, by cracky.

My hand hurt too much to really do any playing today (elevendenitis?) so I'm doing other stuff.

No wonder your hand hurts. You don't need to see a dentist for your hands. ;^)

they will do just like they did with the last website.....let it get 15 yrs out of date and them maybe have someone re-do it

Brent's words are as true as the fact the sun will rise tomorrow. On the other hand you can feel free to call them and get an owner on the phone easily.

they will do just like they did with the last website.....let it get 15 yrs out of date and them maybe have someone re-do it

That was one of the things that I talked to Ren about the last time I was there (because I'm kinda in the web site design & hosting business) but we didn't get very far in these talks. Once the conversation went from in person to email I think that is where the subject fizzled out.

I agree, the website is terrible. They redid their brochures I heard, but I haven't seen them to know. The website is dated and needs to be refreshed. I'm sure they won't change anything because they don't advertise anyway....

I agree, the website is terrible. They redid their brochures I heard, but I haven't seen them to know. The website is dated and needs to be refreshed. I'm sure they won't change anything because they don't advertise anyway....

It can be difficult to get "old timers" into the new Web based world. We've tried to get my mom into using the web. Still not happening.

There are two problems, and I don't think it really has anything to do with the old timer angle.

1. There is a cost associated with building web sites. I charge $100.00 per hour for custom web site design and small companies can't afford that sort of overhead. (Don't forget that the current web site looks one hell of a lot better than the previous version.)

2. All of the guitar models which you see photographed for the web site were all done by the same guy so they all have a uniform appearance. (I was told once who did the current web site but have long since forgotten who it was.) So if a new designer steps in to (for example) add new photos of new models, which means adding new pages and text, it would be very difficult for the new designer to match the uniform look of the photography and a little challenging to make the new web pages look like the old pages.

Depending on how the current site was built, it may or may not have been designed in such a way to be expandable. If the latter is the case, the whole site would need to be redesigned from scratch... which means a huge expense. Even if you find a guy like me who would be willing to accept payment in the form of both cash and trade for goods, it can still be very expensive. If Heritage made more than 4 guitars per day, they might be able to afford having a bigger fancier web site but for right now it seems to be good enough for their current needs. The cost of any company's web site has to fit into a certain percentage of that company's annual revenue and I think they currently have a much better web site than they can afford. (Just my opinion.)

Heritage Guitars don't need no stinkin' website update! WE are their website! :icon_shaking2:

I think this site was rebuilt in 2011? Sound right?

Anyways... you should have seen it before. It looks worlds better now.

Both are very true!

There are two problems, and I don't think it really has anything to do with the old timer angle.

1. There is a cost associated with building web sites. I charge $100.00 per hour for custom web site design and small companies can't afford that sort of overhead. (Don't forget that the current web site looks one hell of a lot better than the previous version.)

2. All of the guitar models which you see photographed for the web site were all done by the same guy so they all have a uniform appearance. (I was told once who did the current web site but have long since forgotten who it was.) So if a new designer steps in to (for example) add new photos of new models, which means adding new pages and text, it would be very difficult for the new designer to match the uniform look of the photography and a little challenging to make the new web pages look like the old pages.

Depending on how the current site was built, it may or may not have been designed in such a way to be expandable. If the latter is the case, the whole site would need to be redesigned from scratch... which means a huge expense. Even if you find a guy like me who would be willing to accept payment in the form of both cash and trade for goods, it can still be very expensive. If Heritage made more than 4 guitars per day, they might be able to afford having a bigger fancier web site but for right now it seems to be good enough for their current needs. The cost of any company's web site has to fit into a certain percentage of that company's annual revenue and I think they currently have a much better web site than they can afford. (Just my opinion.)

Maybe they were expecting a freebie or cheaper option... You may have lost them at $100 an hour, not an email...

Now if they had an on-site high resolution photobooth and started capturing their models as they were made, things might be a bit different for them.

The website wouldn't be so bad to refresh/overhaul....

Maybe they were expecting a freebie or cheaper option... You may have lost them at $100 an hour, not an email...

We never got anywhere near that part of the conversation.

Now if they had an on-site high resolution photobooth and started capturing their models as they were made, things might be a bit different for them.

Assuming that you aren't talking about the cost of hiring a photographer, are you suggesting that they hire a guitar builder who just so happens to have a photography hobby with $10,000 worth of photo gear that he'd like to leave set up permanently at the shop?

The website wouldn't be so bad to refresh/overhaul....

Of course. If money were no object, aside from fixing broken links, updating current information and typo correction, what would you add which isn't there now? (My follow up question to whatever your answer might be, I will ask, Will it help sell more guitars?

The current website was set up by a guy who attended PSP about 4 years ago, Chuck Reustenholtz (sp.) He's a hell of a player, and spanked the crap out a a plank H-137 that he received for his services. He told me after his jam that he was interested in selling it. I took his card, and, after much needling from lk155, Lyle, I called the guy and bought it from him. Chuck lives in Kzoo, and was actually in a band in his teens with former HOCer MartyGrass.

The current website was set up by a guy who attended PSP about 4 years ago, Chuck Reustenholtz (sp.) He's a hell of a player, and spanked the crap out a a plank H-137 that he received for his services. He told me after his jam that he was interested in selling it. I took his card, and, after much needling from lk155, Lyle, I called the guy and bought it from him. Chuck lives in Kzoo, and was actually in a band in his teens with former HOCer MartyGrass.

That's a good story. Do you still own the guitar? Maybe a pic?

Yep! Here I am (big guy) with Eljay, who won an identical guitar at PSP IV. It was karma; he had organized a nice painting to be done of the barn for our hosts, the Henderson family, and when they called his name as the winner for the guitar, God, I wish I had had a camera. It was priceless. These two are much lighter coPSPIV167.jpglored, almost a green color to them, than the TV yellow that most have. I put a pickguard on mine the next year. I caught hell.....

..... are you suggesting that they hire a guitar builder who just so happens to have a photography hobby with $10,000 worth of photo gear that he'd like to leave set up permanently at the shop?

No shit.

Archived