Heritage Owners Club

Prestige Heritage Guitars

bolero

man, these offshore guitars are starting to annoy me.....I see them everywhere, and the name is definitely causing confusion for other people who aren't familiar with the REAL Heritage guitar company

it would be like calling a guitar "Prestige Gibson Guitars" or "Prestige Fender Guitars"

can't Heritage do something legally? surely Heritage has been around longer, and their name is established

It looks like Heritage isn't the brand name, but the model of guitar. Apparently "Heritage" is their les paul clone. "Musician" is their semi hollow body, which looks a lot like a Hofner Verithin.

These are little different than the "house brands" sold by Sam Ash and other music stores.

yep...but how is that different than having a "Gibson" or "Fender" model, not the brand name?

I guess the problem is: the word "Heritage" is a noun.....so as such it might be hard to argue unique brand association

Although "Broadcaster" was similar enough to "Broadkaster" that Gretsch successfully got Leo Fender to change the name to "Telecaster"

I'm sure Heritage has properly registered the name. However, I wonder if they are aware of the way its being used by another guitar company. Anyone well versed in trademark and copyright law here?

That surely could be an issue for any new owners to pursue, as it clearly confuses and dilutes their branding.

I am pretty sure the "Heritage" name originated at Gibson ("Heritage Cherry Les Paul" etc).

I actually have a Prestige Heritage Elite. It's a beautiful guitar. I always knew the difference though (there was never any confusion).

Heritage Guitars (in K'zoo) will always be my first love.

Yes, this name game topic has come up before. There are all kinds of overlap in product names in general, and musical instruments specifically.

Unless there appears to be theft of a trademark, brand name or copyright infringement, etc., usually things are left alone...or tossed out by the courts.

Ever heard of a Sweet 16................. amplifier? :icon_smile:

sweet16b_head_lg.jpg

Wasn't there a Les Paul Series called Heritage in the early 80's because it was built in Kalamazoo?

aha, that is correct!

I always wondered if that guitar was what gave the guys the Heritage name idea....as it was shortly before they split/started the company

Prestige is a Canadian company. So there are international copyright issues. Heritage may have decided it was too expensive to pursue litigation.

Canadian but assembled in the far east, if i recall correctly. That said, they are decent guitars--but don't see them presenting a lot of competition to Heritage.

Technically, the trademark would be for "The Heritage" as seen on the headstock. You don't copyright a company name/logo. You trademark it. THese guitars say "prestige" on the headstock, and have a different headstock shape.

As for the word "heritage", I don't see how any legal action would be possible against using that as a guitar model name, due to widespread use by many companies, especially Gibson's "heritage Cherry Sunburst" "heritage Cherry" etc etc etc. There really isn't anything that Heritage Guitar Inc. could do if they wanted to, and it wouldn't be worth it if they could.

• 4 weeks later...

I own a Prestige Heritage Standard. I emailed the company back and forth several times before I bought one. According to those emails, these guitars are made in Korea from wood shipped from Canada. They are solid wood bodies, mahogany with a maple cap, no veneer. Rosewood fingerboard. SD pickups. Real MOP block inlays. Multi ply binding. They are made of all the right stuff, just off shore.

I think they are a bargain. I really enjoy mine.

Archived