Heritage Owners Club

What's Your Dream Guitar Custom Build By Heritage? Specs...

Gitfiddler

Marv Lamb (The gentleman pictured above, holding my freshly painted, unfinished 525) is known for his skilled hand-rolled neck carves.

Since he started working at the old Kalamazoo Gibson factory in the late 50's, he became associated with the thicker '50's neck profile on Les Pauls, etc.

Many of us on the HOC have asked Marv to carve our guitar necks with that slightly chunkier shape and slight taper towards the nut.

So we call his amazing neck shape a 'Marv Carve'. :icon_smile:

Thanks! I have a 1988 Gibson Les Paul Studio with the 59 roundback neckprofile. My 2010 Heritage H150 has a similar profile but does indeed feel thicker and more comfortable. I wonder if it is a Marv-Carv. I aslo have a 2014 Prospect - neck is more similar to the studio

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also have several necks that were carved by the master himself but that is only because I could and it was a great honor to have Marv do those necks. However Marv has been training Arnold for many years to carve necks. I have felt the necks Arnold has made and they are Fab. You will get an outstanding guitar no matter who is involved. Heritage is a whole building full of Master guitar makers!

A Millie DC with a mahogany body, with a full through center-block , and a maple cap. 60s profile mahogany neck, rosewood fingerboard, trap inlays, binding and chrome HW. Push pull pots for coil splitting. Pup's,, to be determined. Finish: a dark OSB or trans red or blue.

Yeah, that would do it. :icon_salut:

I'd love to have something like a 60's Super 400CES, Golden Eagle, or Heritage Super KB, but in a little smaller package. Maybe 17" x 20" x 2.75", with a 25" scale. Kind of between a Golden Eagle and 575. Either Benedetto B6 or Kent Armstrong Jazz single neck pickup. Vintage natural finish. I'd have to think about inlays and headstock, but basically that's it.

super_kb_h_zpstnge9kjv.jpg

I've slept on this one a few nights and have decided that the Super KB is my newest dream build.........and maybe a matching H-357 to go along with it.

The only changes I'd really want to make here would be to go with a Cupids bow and to lose the Liberace gold. Throbak SLE-101's.

Dreams are great.

I also have several necks that were carved by the master himself but that is only because I could and it was a great honor to have Marv do those necks. However Marv has been training Arnold for many years to carve necks. I have felt the necks Arnold has made and they are Fab. You will get an outstanding guitar no matter who is involved. Heritage is a whole building full of Master guitar makers!

Arnold has a great story about wanting to work at Heritage for a long time. Finally got the chance, and was getting a tour, or was in his very early days there. Marv was showing Arnold how to roll a neck on the slack belt sander. After a demo or two, Marv handed Arnold a scrap neck blank, told him to have a go. Arnold said it took him about ten seconds to reduce it to a toothpick. Arnold said it's a real art form, which takes a very long time to master.

Unfortunately, my order was started too late, Marv fell ill. My order was supposed to have the "Marv" carve, but the build had to proceed to meet its completion schedule. It's a bummer, but I'd rather wish Marv a speedy recovery then expect him to make my guitar.

Hey Guitfiddler - I went along to collect your dream's younger sister:

20160216_094937_zpsrkhkdrhp.jpg

7154e204-d956-477d-bd42-cb9c9d841d47_zps

Yet my dream is still the same...

Top-Detail-Sm.jpg

7154e204-d956-477d-bd42-cb9c9d841d47_zps

The aesthetic design of this guitar is just MARVELOUS!

I don't think the custom colored "Bat-Wing"pickguards get enough appreciation especially when they're used like this to shake things up. Even the newer plastic ones aren't all that bad, I had one made for my prospect (bound in black) and very rarely notice a difference.

The Bat-Wing design to me just looks perfect and undeniably "Heritage".

Bat-Wing 4 Life!!!

The aesthetic design of this guitar is just MARVELOUS!

I don't think the custom colored "Bat-Wing"pickguards get enough appreciation especially when they're used like this to shake things up. Even the newer plastic ones aren't all that bad, I had one made for my prospect (bound in black) and very rarely notice a difference.

The Bat-Wing design to me just looks perfect and undeniably "Heritage".

Bat-Wing 4 Life!!!

The Bat-Wing isn't bad, but only if its a wooden pickguard or if its multi-ply layers. The single layer unfortuantely looks cheap to me. That's why I order my 535 without a picguard.

The Bat-Wing isn't bad, but only if its a wooden pickguard or if its multi-ply layers. The single layer unfortuantely looks cheap to me. That's why I order my 535 without a picguard.

Jim would probably make you a bound pickguard made of plastic for free. The one he made for my Prospect has worked out great, doesn't look cheap at all in fact I hardly notice the difference from any of my flat black wooden pickguards.

IMAG3447_zpsyjalegd0.jpg

Bat-Wing 4 Life!!!!

Jim would probably make you a bound pickguard made of plastic for free. The one he made for my Prospect has worked out great, doesn't look cheap at all in fact I hardly notice the difference from any of my flat black wooden pickguards.

IMAG3447_zpsyjalegd0.jpg

Bat-Wing 4 Life!!!!

Holy frijoles Bat Man! Stunning!!!

All men have an engrained desire to fish. It comes from the hunter/gatherer days of our ancestors.

I can see Lance and the crew from Caveman walking down a creek beating the water with sticks, chasing the fish towards a trap.

Holy frijoles Bat Man! Stunning!!!

Thanks Steiner!

That was my very first custom "dream build" with Heritage or any guitar maker for that matter....turned out great!

My only regret was ordering thru Wolfe.

Archived