Heritage Owners Club

Skolnick Heritage returned to Alex

fxdx99

It's great to hear that this story had a positive ending...

26crimescene-1-master768.jpg

Alex Skolnick, the guitarist for the thrash metal band Testament, with the prototype of his signature guitar from Heritage Guitars, which was once stolen from him, at his home in Park Slope, Brooklyn, on Friday. Mr. Skolnick was able to retrieve at least five stolen guitars with the help of the employees of Sam Ash music store.

.... The staff at Sam Ash knows a lot about guitars. So when that same seller entered in late November with an electric guitar, Mr. Kolmin did a double take. He was sure he had seen it before.

Like many guitar enthusiasts, Mr. Kolmin visits the “gear pages” of musicians — links that display an artist’s favorite guitars. The seller was carrying a Heritage guitar — specifically, a Heritage Signature Skolnick, part of a limited series designed by a specific artist, Alex Skolnick. It was a unique instrument, and it made Mr. Kolmin suspicious because he followed Mr. Skolnick and recognized it from his gear page.

Then he flipped it over and saw the serial number, Z20001, and his suspicions were all but confirmed. He asked something like, “Where did you get this again?” and the seller gave the same answer about his father, he recalled.

The end digits, 001, indicated the guitar was a series prototype, not one sold by the company. It would have belonged to the artist, Mr. Skolnick........

So if the employee was not a Alex Skolnick fan, would not have caught on this was a stolen guitar. No one checks a registry for hot guitars at retail store just at pawn brokers. That true Larry?

It's been many years since I worked in guitar retail, and my experience predates the internet, so, I'm not an expert on current practice. However, my sense is that there is really very little control, and that buying a used instrument (a used anything?) is always in some ways a risky proposition, whether at a shop, or a pawn broker, or online, or on craigslist. .

How many guitars in circulation have at some point been stolen, or sold by a family member/boy-girlfriend without the permission of the owner during a breakup? How many transactions involving used guitars take place with full documentation back to the original sale? How many guitar owners record serial numbers, take photos, maintain purchase information, have prepared their collections to be sold by their family (or to document theft)?

Lawyers on the board could comment much more fully than I, but I think the responsibility of store owners is to follow common practice in the industry, and that's not very strictly defined. And, I can speak from experience that it is very hard to say no when a really great guitar is sitting in front of you at a great price. One of the things I most admire about Blaine Hampton, my friend in my hometown (Greenville, NC) who still runs a brick-and-morter shop (Greenville Guitars), is that I have seen him on more than one occassion (1) pay someone more than they asked for a guitar, because it was worth more, (2) refuse to purchase an instrument because the situation was suspicious. I'm not sure how many dealers/purchasers are as principled.

I'm not a lawyer...but many states have laws requiring pawn shops and other retailers that buy used goods to hold off re-selling goods for a set period of time. Check your respective state or Google "pawn shop hold periods" or "police hold" and other pawn shop statutes or case law.

This is obviously not the first time something like this happened.

Some of you might remember the vintage National amp that I brought to PSP a few years back. I had it restored by Terry Dobbs of Columbus, IN. He specializes in the old Valco amps.

When I dropped my amp off at his house, we sat around talking for a bit, as I looked over a collection of old amps, tubes, testers and such. Silvertones, Ohau's etc, were in various states of disassembly. At one point, he mentioned having gone through one of Stevie Ray Vaughan's Vibroverb amps. Turns out it had been stolen from a storage facility along with guitars, pedals and other personal items.

You can read the story on his webpage ValcoAmp.com.

When I lived in Austin I bought a used Baldwin solid state amp.....you know, those blue amps with the multi colored switches? This was in the late eighties when I bought it. One of Willie Nelson's guys informed me that as those amps were never popular and didn't sell well, this amp was one of Willie's. Apparently in the 70s Baldwin had given Willie a truck load of them and they all got stolen. So any Baldwin amp in central Texas was probably one of those. He didn't want it returned and just thought it was kind of funny.

I played thru a Baldwin combo at a "Battle of the Bands" on the mezzanine at the Carson Pierre Scott department store in the mid 60s. It was the flagship store on State Street, right in the middle of downtown Chicago.

The amp was supplied by Carsons, their idea of a backline. We lost, in fact we were kicked out of the completion when the judges heard the lyrics to the song we played.

The song was "Lets Spend the Night Together" by a new band called "The Rolling Stones". Good times.

My opinion then was that it was the worst amp I had ever played thru (I pushed every button it had and got a lot of nuthin). Fortunately it still is the worst amp I have ever played thru.
Sorry to hear you bought that amp Mr. Winking.

I remember those Baldwin amps. One of the local bands here had members who worked at the Baldwins store, so they had three Exterminators for their backline. I don't remember much about the sound. It was loud, which was about all anyone cared about in those days.

The last one I saw was at Z's music in Charleston IL.

I would agree with you on that Baldwin except for one thing....It was the best amp for a gut string with a pick up that I have ever played, which is probably why Willie likes them. It was total trash for an electric guitar but my Takamine gut string with it was magic. It was cool looking too!

http://i42.tinypic.com/vib9v.jpg

I played thru a Baldwin combo at a "Battle of the Bands" on the mezzanine at the Carson Pierre Scott department store in the mid 60s. It was the flagship store on State Street, right in the middle of downtown Chicago.

The amp was supplied by Carsons, their idea of a backline. We lost, in fact we were kicked out of the completion when the judges heard the lyrics to the song we played.

The song was "Lets Spend the Night Together" by a new band called "The Rolling Stones". Good times.

My opinion then was that it was the worst amp I had ever played thru (I pushed every button it had and got a lot of nuthin). Fortunately it still is the worst amp I have ever played thru.

Sorry to hear you bought that amp Mr. Winking.

ha, that is a great story

Love to see when this happens. I once helped someone recover a stolen instrument just by chance. Additionally, I once purchased a hot instrument that guitar center asked me to return for a court case. It is good to know this kind of stuff is being tracked. Not necesserily for me, but for my sons when I am gone (I don't want to sell anything, I just need one more guitar and I am set). Love to see the system work out for someone (even if he went to ESP) as he still plays his 575 with his trio :mellow:

Archived