Heritage Owners Club

Dual Amps

I'm toying with the idea of running through 2 amps when I play live.  The bands first "gig" is just a grad party next month we are playing just to get us out and playing live before we start our shows in October. 

Being all my amps are 20watt 1x12 combos, I thought about running two amps at once.  Saw a recent video from Intheblues has me thinking I could do this to get more air moving.  Plus the two amps have different voices, so it seems to sound richer/fuller?  Thoughts?  

At 1 point I had the music room wired to run as many as 12 amps at once.  Things get complicated fast but it is a beautiful experience.

Bonamassa has 5 or 6 combos on stage and 2 roadcases with ~6 60s Marshalls just off stage.

The caveat here is if, in your band, you're trying to capture the sound of various artists.  Each between song break you'll be feverously playing spin the dials.

I applaud your Moxy

If you don't mind lugging around several amps, I say go for it. You can get some great sounds out of two amps played at once. I have Voo Doo amp selector that allows you to play up to four amps at once.  It's really a lot of fun to mess around with. You get some great sounds. The downside is who wants to lug around multiple amps?  I use a Quilter Labs 101, 50wat head as a backup amp. It weighs only a couple of pounds and the sound is adequate.

2 hours ago, Steiner said:

At 1 point I had the music room wired to run as many as 12 amps at once.  Things get complicated fast but it is a beautiful experience.

Bonamassa has 5 or 6 combos on stage and 2 roadcases with ~6 60s Marshalls just off stage.

The caveat here is if, in your band, you're trying to capture the sound of various artists.  Each between song break you'll be feverously playing spin the dials.

I applaud your Moxy

Well, the most tweaking will probably come from the guitar volume and depend greatly on what guitar I'm playing.  Most likely my Tele will be number one, just because it cuts through so well.  My 137 will be coming along, but as I continue to experiment, I'd like to have my 535 in the mix.

Another option is to bring an extension speaker that is ohm compatible with your amp. 

Extension speaker cabs weigh much less than combos, and depending on the speaker, can give you the sound variety you seek.  Your back will thank you.

• mars_hall changed the title to Dual Amps
3 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Another option is to bring an extension speaker that is ohm compatible with your amp. 

Extension speaker cabs weigh much less than combos, and depending on the speaker, can give you the sound variety you seek.  Your back will thank you.

THIS! ^^^

What a great idea!  No ground loops, no worrying about pedal settings, etc, etc...  Bravo Gitfiddler!

If it helps, I have a Seymour Duncan Catalina stereo chorus pedal that I could part with. I used to get great sounds out of it, but I don't use it anymore.

1 hour ago, DetroitBlues said:

The Traynor doesn’t have an extension output…

Dean Zink.

The Quad Cortex, Helix, etc. makes this easy. you get two separate amps and you can run them together or separately. Two deluxes, a deluxe and a Marshall, a Dr. Z and capture of your Traynor, etc. With the Line 6 powercab 212+ you can run each amp into a separate speaker. As I have said in the past, i fought this digital stuff as I am a dyed in the wool tube guy. However it is now that good.

1 minute ago, DetroitBlues said:

Ah, checked again.  It does…

think it’s 8ohm…

IMG_0122.jpeg

It "should" be the same as the installed speaker.  Remember, the two outputs are wired in parallel.  A quick web search should reveal the impedance.

48 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

A 2x12 16ohm cabinet in parallel will work?

Yes, IF you put another 16ohm speaker in your amp cab.  Perhaps something akin to a Celestion Creamback Neo in 16ohm...

Those Traynors are excellent.

There's nothing like a pair of 4x12's hooked up to separate amps though. I recall a fun session with a '71 Hiwatt 50w & a '66 jtm100.

DB: having two combos is useful in case one of them has trouble, you can flip to the other one.

Are you mic'ing your amp to the PA?  if so, no need for anything other than your single combo.

If you aren't mic'ing to the PA, with two amps let the decibel wars begin with the drums, bass, and singer.

On 7/2/2023 at 2:16 AM, rockabilly69 said:

...that sounds like a rock and roll party!

Yeah, and not necessarily just loud obnoxious volume.

At low levels the sound was nice & full: both amps had slightly different sonic signatures that combined into a glorious ocean of sound.

Archived