Heritage Owners Club

What would a…

big bob

So Bill and I were wondering what a korina Marv bird would bring in todays market. Yes Bill and I both have korina Marv birds. No they are not for sale. Just wondering what one would bring. I sold a hog Marv bird pre Covid for 4,500.00, that had to be at least 5 years ago. What do you folks think? let’s hear from the pundits!

2 hours ago, big bob said:

As soon as your bank transfer clears both guitars will be shipped to the location of your choosing!

:D

You got a deal....my buddy the Nigerian Prince is sending funds, hand delivered by Tammy Faye Baker. Who will also sing & dance for your amusement.

10 hours ago, big bob said:

So Bill and I were wondering what a korina Marv bird would bring in todays market. Yes Bill and I both have korina Marv birds. No they are not for sale. Just wondering what one would bring. I sold a hog Marv bird pre Covid for 4,500.00, that had to be at least 5 years ago. What do you folks think? let’s hear from the pundits!

I’ll offer you 2k.  Take or leave it.  

9 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

Honestly, if it was the Korina, I’d said $8-$10K.

Good drugs there Josh!!!

To answer Lance's original question... Sadly a lot less than you would hope.  You would have to find the right buyer that knew the history of Marv & Heritage, instead of someone just viewing it as a Gibby copy.

Just my opinion, hey you asked...

9 hours ago, Kuz said:

To answer Lance's original question... Sadly a lot less than you would hope.  You would have to find the right buyer that knew the history of Marv & Heritage, instead of someone just viewing it as a Gibby copy.

Just my opinion, hey you asked...

I agree. No one is going to know what it is. No one outside of this club anyway.

17 hours ago, HANGAR18 said:

I agree. No one is going to know what it is. No one outside of this club anyway.

I agree too- don't get me wrong, great guitars and everyone here obviously loves them and knows what they are. But it doesn't go much farther than that. It's the same reason you see a million fake Gibsons out there but not one fake Heritage. There just isn't a market enough to even bother to try making one for the counterfeiters. Your average person on the street is still clueless about Heritage and certainly a Marv Bird. I don't know how many people I still mention Heritage to and they look at me like "Huh?" But you say "Gibson" and everyone and their Grandma knows what it is. So, the market for who is willing to part with big bucks for a Marv Bird is pretty limited to, basically everyone on this forum! Lol! 

52 minutes ago, ElNumero said:

“What a willing buyer would pay….”

With the larger guitar world more familiar with Heritage and the rarity of this model, I still say my estimate is correct.  However, you're right its a matter of finding the right buyer, so it would take some time to sell.

On 9/2/2023 at 11:48 AM, DetroitBlues said:

Honestly, if it was the Korina, I’d said $8-$10K.

If you could get half that amount, I would say "SOLD"! (if you wanted to sell it).  $8-10K would be the most expensive Heritage ever sold by more than two times.

I sold my archtop Golden Eagle Florentine cutaway (1 of 5 or so made)  that was dead mint for well under $4K.  

16 minutes ago, Kuz said:

If you could get half that amount, I would say "SOLD"! (if you wanted to sell it).  $8-10K would be the most expensive Heritage ever sold by more than two times.

I sold my archtop Golden Eagle Florentine cutaway (1 of 5 or so made)  that was dead mint for well under $4K.  

But no one plays those big ol' gals.  The new H575 retails prices are up in the $4.5K mark, but the equally priced Custom Cores outsell them.  Rarity doesn't equal demand.

I would imagine the H357 would sell instantly at $4-5K.  I know people actively seeking one that are willing to pay now.   

2 hours ago, DetroitBlues said:

But no one plays those big ol' gals.  The new H575 retails prices are up in the $4.5K mark, but the equally priced Custom Cores outsell them.  Rarity doesn't equal demand.

I would imagine the H357 would sell instantly at $4-5K.  I know people actively seeking one that are willing to pay now.   

My final post on the topic is this; 

I mentioned selling my Golden Eagle for under $4K because Jazz guitarists are used to paying a lot more for their archtops than solid bodies.  So if I couldn't get $4K for mine, what makes you think rock guitarist are going to pay $8-10K for a H357.

Also, aren't you just verifying my post saying that an H357 would go for $4-5K and rarity doesn't equal demand?   But no one is going to pay $8-10K.  If you guarantee me a sale at $8-10K, I'll offer anyone here $6500 for theirs and make a quick $1.5-3.5K.

I sold a Sweet 16 Custom for $5499 and that’s the highest sale I ever had on a Heritage. 
It is all about finding the right buyer. He is a professional Jazz player in the New York area and knew what he wanted and knew the Heritage tradition of their jazz boxes. Loves it!

There is no right answer on this. I paid $3600 for a completely one off Marvbird. That is one I’ll never sell. 

Archived