Heritage Owners Club

Heritage market values

Guest HRB853370

Guest HRB853370

There are some pretty wild swings in the prices of pre-owned Heritages as of late! Kind of hard to even gauge how much to ask for a guitar anymore, as the prices are pretty much determined by seller motivation as well what other similar models have gone for. Seen 150's going for between $900 and $1500. But is this like homes where the home that sells real low in the neighborhood determines how much you will get for your home?

The current economic downturn is causing prices to be much lower on the resale market. Plus guitars and other non-essentials are the first to be sold when times get tough. I thank God each day for employment and pray for those without a job.

Not to be flippant, but it is what a person is willing to pay.

Some people will pay many hundreds more for a bound headstock, where to me a bound headstock is an afterthought.

Others is weight, others color, others pickups, others one piece body, others the hardware, locking tuners, flame vs quilt, overall condition, ect...

I usually purchase new, not used. I am now at the point in my herd where I am about done buying guitars, but the few I have bought used I paid MORE than most would for select features and the overall condition of the guitar.

Point is that, it is all about the right piece for the right buyer and what they are willing to pay. My experience: Condition, features, weight, & neck carve are the most requested and people will pay more for them.

The current economic downturn is causing prices to be much lower on the resale market. Plus guitars and other non-essentials are the first to be sold when times get tough. I thank God each day for employment and pray for those without a job.

+1000000000000000000000 and Amen!!! My prayers and thoughts go out to others were they are worried about their home or next meal, not their next guitar!!!!

Very well said.

I'm on the point of investing in an H575 so the market value issue is an important one to be considered as part of the purchase process. But how many guitars these days hold their value ? Would I be better off buying an inferior quality machine made "original" costing more from Nashville ?

My tendency is to say no to the latter. To hell with the resale price ...if I ever decide to sell !!!

I'm on the point of investing in an H575 so the market value issue is an important one to be considered as part of the purchase process. But how many guitars these days hold their value ? Would I be better off buying an inferior quality machine made "original" costing more from Nashville ?

My tendency is to say no to the latter. To hell with the resale price ...if I ever decide to sell !!!

Resale price is a question to ask, but if you aren't a chronic flipper, isn't a great sounding, great looking, and great playing Heritage (that already costs half the price of a Custom Shop Es-175) what it is really all about when buying a guitar????

In the end its a fender, gibson, or martin high end model if your shootin for a financial investment. Everything else seems to fall to the wayside once thier used no matter the quility of the guitar. Iv'e got a heritage 157 and carvin cs6,, both top notch in thier brand line up but I couldnt sell the both together to get a beat up 60's 70's of the big three's high end model. Aggrevating at the least but thats the reality of it. I choose a heritage for the quality and history behind them and they are only 15 minutes away and I want to help support them, But will that be a big return in the long run financialy if i ever sold it. Nope.

hmm... maybe. I bought my '02 535 brand new for a grand total of $1188 including shipping and could probably sell it for that today. Depends on so many things - time, new guitar pricing curve, but I'm not automatically of the mindset that purchasing new means taking a financial hit. You just get exactly what you want, when you want it, and treated how you want to. I purchase used, too, when there's a guitar that comes up that meats the specs. Both are viable. Both have pros/cons.

But yeh, Will - the used market over the last year has taken quite a few swings. Last fall/winter used prices were low. Spring they ratcheted up. Maybe we're at the start of the winter curve.

I've never bought a guitar based on what I thought it's resale value would be. I have sold some with the thought of what it'd cost me to get it or one like it, back, tho'. As of yet, I've not tried to re-buy.

+1 for feeling very glad to be working, healthy, etc, and heart going out to those who are not during this tough time. looks like we may be slowly turning the corner, but there will definitely be a new "normal" since the last so called "normal" economy was so out of whack.

I've never bought a guitar based on what I thought it's resale value would be. I have sold some with the thought of what it'd cost me to get it or one like it, back, tho'. As of yet, I've not tried to re-buy.

I alway look at resale value first. I want to make sure that if I get a guitar and it just doesn't suite me, I can sell it for what I paid for it. Only exception is if I modify the guitar significantly. Like my 140. I know I'll never get what I paid for it....

...but there will definitely be a new "normal" since the last so called "normal" economy was so out of whack.

I've never bought a guitar based on what I thought it's resale value would be.

(T)sp, I'm thinking what we're seeing now is the "new normal." It's not over the next hill; it's here. And Kenny, neither have I...ever. If I had, I guess I'd still be sitting on my '67 Tele, '59 Junior, '52 Zephyr Regent, '59 Special, and my '52 Gold top, without a Heritage to my name....

I know and understand resale is a significant factor for some.

I look at it two ways, one on a personal level with my own guitars.

Resale means I bought the wrong guitar to start with. Resale is irrelevant, they are mine and I will give them away to someone before I die or when I cant play anymore.

the other way I look at it is, I have bought some guitars with the intention of selling them straight away. They did not grab me as a guitar I would like to own or spend any time with, but the logo on the headstock guarantees a line of interested parties and easy sale regardless of quality.

That reads a bit cold but I do have a life outside of guitars and music(sorta) and cash is cash. The guitars could have easily been cars, motorbikes or white goods. Totally dispassionate about the guitars and the transactions and when I bought the guitars to sell, resale was a big factor.

Have to add that I only buy guitars I can play and check out before purchase. No exceptions. So Im not likely to buy something for myself Im not going to love playing.

One exception was a PRS and thats what created the no exceptions clause.

I know and understand resale is a significant factor for some.

I look at it two ways, one on a personal level with my own guitars.

Resale means I bought the wrong guitar to start with. Resale is irrelevant, they are mine and I will give them away to someone before I die or when I cant play anymore.

the other way I look at it is, I have bought some guitars with the intention of selling them straight away. They did not grab me as a guitar I would like to own or spend any time with, but the logo on the headstock guarantees a line of interested parties and easy sale regardless of quality.

That reads a bit cold but I do have a life outside of guitars and music(sorta) and cash is cash. The guitars could have easily been cars, motorbikes or white goods. Totally dispassionate about the guitars and the transactions and when I bought the guitars to sell, resale was a big factor.

Have to add that I only buy guitars I can play and check out before purchase. No exceptions. So Im not likely to buy something for myself Im not going to love playing.

One exception was a PRS and thats what created the no exceptions clause.

Amen! :notworthy:

If buying a guitar winds up being the worst financial decision a person makes in their life, then they are very lucky. Life is too short not to buy any guitar you fall in love with if you have the means to do so. I would rather be on my death bed saying "maybe I spent too much on guitars" than wishing that I hadn't let that flamed top '59 get away because I was too worried about "what if".

Put it in perspective; with gas at current prices - we'll all spend enough every year to have bought a custom ordered H150 annually! Makes me want to start riding my bike or walking...

IMO buying a new gtr as an investment is crazy...I would buy a new guitar if I was crazy about it though :D

if you are worried about losing on resale, just buy used & you will always be able to get back market value....which is usually what you paid, or close to it

I gave up buying Gibson & Fender guitars when I discovered G&L & Heritage...much better value and quality for what you pay. Heritage guitars BLOW ME AWAY, they are so well made

however, the true value of an instrument is as an instrument....regardless of who made it

I have never bought anything with an eye on it's resale value. Most of what I am drawn to isn't on the popular list. Thus I am typing this for the Heritage forum not some Gibson forum.

Jobs are tough to find these days. Linda and I are blessed to have good jobs. When I give my boss an update on my progress he always says, "Don't work yourself out of a job!" I would charge Hell with a corn stalk for him if needed. I count myself as damn lucky!

I have never bought anything with an eye on it's resale value. Most of what I am drawn to isn't on the popular list. Thus I am typing this for the Heritage forum not some Gibson forum.

Jobs are tough to find these days. Linda and I are blessed to have good jobs. When I give my boss an update on my progress he always says, "Don't work yourself out of a job!" I would charge Hell with a corn stalk for him if needed. I count myself as damn lucky!

I'd hand mine the cornstalk and tell him to lead the way...

You could by my lovely 575....superb example and on Ebay now....

Hi all Im back

T

Amen! We should all do likewise...thnk you for the sober reminder.

Archived