Heritage Owners Club

H-575 Custom ~ Mo Better Makeover

Gitfiddler

My latest Heritage and I have been spending a LOT of quality time together. This H575 Custom Blueburst came to me from Slammer (THANKS!) and I could not be happier with it...but I still wanted to add my personal touches to it.

First, I removed the gold pickup rings and replaced them with more sedate beige. Beige surrounds match the binding around the pickguard and body nicely. I like!

Second, the gold three-way pickup selector switch had to go. It is heavy duty metal, but not on this jazz box. Beige works for me.

Third, the SD 59's were just OK tonewise, but I prefer Seths. Enter one Seth Lover installed in the neck. Instant warm, smooth, jazzy tones! I had a brand new SD Jazz bridge pickup in a parts box and I was curious what it sounded like, so in it went. It is a bit thin, but after lowering it for tonal balance, it sounds perfect blended with the neck. I never use the bridge pickup on archtops by themselves, only mixed with the neck p'up and then I twiddle with the knobs to get my tones. This mix sounds great. So far so good.

Fourth, the stock bail tailpiece was fine and functional, but not up to the beauty of the rest of this beauty. Here's where I wanted a bit more bling as well as heft and the ability to adjust string tension. A brand new six finger tailpiece finished the mods. I like it a lot better visually as well as functionally than the original thin bail model.

Here are before and after photos. What do ya'll think?

BEFORE:

post-8-0-30341000-1327785135_thumb.jpg

LOVE the transformation. I would like to put the "finger style" bridge on my 575. Was it a direct easy conversion, or did you have to drill new holes?

BTW, I love the new pup rings and toggle switch as well. I always loved that guitar, but thought it was a little over the top. Now it looks like a classy one-off guitar!!!!

LOVE the transformation. I would like to put the "finger style" bridge on my 575. Was it a direct easy conversion, or did you have to drill new holes?

BTW, I love the new pup rings and toggle switch as well. I always loved that guitar, but thought it was a little over the top. Now it looks like a classy one-off guitar!!!!

Thanks, John. Yes, there were two small additional holes drilled, but fortunately the original bail's holes are covered by the new 6 finger's attachment plate. I had all of the work done by Terry Hiatt.

Thanks, John. Yes, there were two small additional holes drilled, but fortunately the original bail's holes are covered by the new 6 finger's attachment plate. I had all of the work done by Terry Hiatt.

Well, shoot I hate to drill any hole in a guitar..... but, I am very interested in doing it. Can you check, or do you know if he filled the holes or just put the finger tailpiece over the open holes?

Well, shoot I hate to drill any hole in a guitar..... but, I am very interested in doing it. Can you check, or do you know if he filled the holes or just put the finger tailpiece over the open holes?

The tiny holes were drilled...done by a pro. I asked about filling the original holes and discussed various options. Since I do not plan to ever remove the six finger tailpiece, filling the previous holed was a moot point. Here's a close up for ya.

post-8-0-74901700-1327889205_thumb.jpg

Archived