Heritage Owners Club

Super Johnny Smith arrived

MartyGrass

This 1992 Johnny Smith has some standard features and some exceptional ones.

The most obvious thing is that it is 18" across, not the standard 16 3/4" (no, they are not 17", and the GEs are a hair thinner, too despite what the catalog says).

It's a rose natural. This pic below shows its rosiness next to a natural top.

The nut is 1 3/4" and the scale length is 25", typical for the JS.

This one has the extra rose on the pickguard, compliments of the revered Maudie Moore of Gibson fame.

The strings need changing. I'm told they're from 1999 or earlier. So I cannot comment on the tone.

The truss rod needs attention and the nut needs some slot work. Plus the bridge base is due to be leveled. Otherwise she's good to go.

The seller, Rick, is a prince. He's simply a great guy and a straight shooter. Many thanks.

P1010001_zps9b11384d.jpg

P1010007_zps23fc11a7.jpgp1010004_zpsd07395c6.jpgP1010022_zps3259e764.jpgP1010024_zpsf2e93112.jpgP1010011_zps32ffe8ce.jpgP1010008_zpsb51dec50.jpg

http://s796.photobucket.com/user/mgoetting/library/Super%20Johnny%20Smith?sort=3&page=1

Busy day but I got this one set up.

The neck is straight and it plays very well. It's got a typical JS neck- somewhat D shaped but not completely and a slightly thin medium thickness.

The bridge base has a thin sandpaper adhesive strip under it. That's an old Gretsch trick for those who twang and bend. I'll remove it when I fit the bridge to the top.

Compared to the Sweet 16 I set up today, this JS sounds more like the usual Floating #3. It's slightly scooped in the mid range and very articulate. It's a toss up on getting a hotter pup IMO.

The strings are D'Addario Chrome Flatwound 13-56s. I don't find them bright enough on this guitar. Next move will be Pyramids or TIs.

That's the full report except when you see a rose natural, there's no mistaking it. It's a subtle shade that is a bit pinky in an extremely, hmm, manly way. Marv recently said it is one of the most difficult finishes to get right, and he preferred to do it himself recently for a friend of mine who got a custom build Golden Eagle.

I used to feel that way about 18" archtops. Somehow I got used to them and don't notice.

Well, let's remember, not all 18's are created equal. As you know the Heritage 18's are thinner, therefore after owning enough of them they almost feel like a 17. Due to the thicker depth of the Artist Award it feels equally as large, if not larger, than an SE. And don't even mention a Super 400...it is big.

Had I known the woods on the JS were as premium as I now see they are I may have been more motivated. I thought the ad displayed a photo of a nut width of 1 11/16? Hmmm...just as well as 1 3/4 wouldn't have worked for me...I have that on my arched back jumbo flattop, but prefer the other.

Congrats Mark!

The ad showed a tape ruler across the nut. That isn't all that precise because the metal lip on the end of it can be separated a bit from the tape. When I put a precision ruler up to the nut, it clearly showed the width.

It all fits together. JS binding, rose inlay, 25" scale, abalone and nut. Heritage put a JS neck on a Super Eagle with premium woods, added the black hardware, added the rose pickguard, used a rim jack, and finished it in rose natural. Oh, and put Johnny's signature on the label.

Archived