Heritage Owners Club

NGD: PSP VSB X 2

schundog

It’s funny how things work out sometimes. I swear, I was trying to thin the herd a bit by trying to sell one of my H-137s, but it didn’t quite work out that way. Here’s what happened….

Robert LaFonde, aka Rhoadscholar, was going to buy the 137, but you know the old saying, Man Makes Plans, God Laughs... We weren’t going to be able to make the deal until later in the year, which would have been completely fine with me (we had a great time together in Kalamazoo last Fall while making a completely different trade). Robert offered another solution, however; a partial trade of my H-137 and a pair of lightweight Celestion speakers plus cash to make up the difference on a VSB H-157. I was hesitant, as I told him I didn’t really know if I was a 157 kind of guy; a little too “Bling-y” for me. (Never mind my H-155 Millenium…) Robert responded with a brief history on this one, and I knew I was doomed.

I think you would like this guitar if you are partial to vintage sunburst. It is a good weight with a good neck carve. When I got it from Mark, (MartyGrass) he had bought 4 157's at once and was going to pick the best (he showed me the 4, I liked this one the best). I got it from him and later down the road traded it towards the american eagle (my dream guitar), he had a transaction with Youmanie on this website and eventually I got it back from Youmanie (Youmanie also bought 3 157s at once). I have to enjoy them one at a time It is one of the lightest 157s but the neck shape is one of the best. If I ever got a custom, I would take this guitar to Marv and say "that is the neck shape I want"....

Bob and I made our deal. OK, not exactly thinning the herd, but at least following that silly rule some of you guys follow, One IN, One OUT… Except…. When I thought I was just going to sell the 137, I contacted FredZepp about the H-150 he had had for sale on the HOC shortly before last year’s PSP. I asked him if he would still be interested in selling it, and he said he hadn’t really thought about it, probably not, but I’ll let you know if I change my mind. About a week before PSP, he changed his mind! I wasn’t about to lose sleep for another year knowing I could have had that beautiful, mineral-streaked 150 and didn’t seize the opportunity. So, I sold my recently acquired Gibson Les Paul Jr, and scrounged up the rest of the necessary cash without dipping into the family funds or putting anything on plastic. I HOPE those days are behind me. I never thought I’d end up with 3 VSB solidbodies at one time, but, as you can see, they all look remarkably different for having the same finish designation. These are all great guitars, all with their own “thing” going on. I don’t know that I’ll end up keeping all three, but I’ll be damned if I know how I could ever decide which one would have to go.

I apologize for the poor outdoor pics; too sunny out today, but I wanted to get some shots. These first two are of the VSB I have had for several years (also from MartyGrass) and a great shot that Fred took of the guitar he sold to me.

Heritage%20H-150%20VSB_zpszmfuwllu.jpg

FredVSB3_zpsfz9s6rdx.jpg

101_2402_zpsjxm8uvru.jpg

101_2403_zpskduyvzcg.jpg

101_2405_zpsp688i1pc.jpg

101_2407_zpsafniaia3.jpg

101_2417_zps4papkeud.jpg

101_2431_zpscbz4v830.jpg

101_2412_zps6bnguwkz.jpg

The middle VSB, which I have owned for a few years, has Lindy Fralin pickups and a big fat neck. Feels great. The thing is, I've loved every Heritage neck I've had, except maybe the Stat, up by the nut, as it was just too thin for my big meathooks.

The other two both have SD 59s, and they have an definitive bark that I love. The Mineral Streak 150 has a regular 60s carve found on many, many 150s. The 157 neck SEEMs narrow at the nut, but honestly, it's a unique neck; almost feels like a soft V profile, and fattens up as you go up the neck. I don't deserve any of 'em, to be honest. Wayyy, Wayyy, too nice.

It's cool to see the three of them together, I hope that you are enjoying them all.

The VSB that I sold you is a H-150 Classic and yeah.. I like the bark of those '59's.

It certainly has the vintage vibe goin on. I'm glad it worked out.

What the hell happened to that pickup ring?

Nice Snatches!

Hey,buddy, it has been cracked ever since I got it, and I finally got sick and tired of it, and snapped it off at the corners... Yeah, Yeah, I gotta get it replaced. Some of us aren't quite as anal about the non-essential things as others. Of course, we aren't dealers.... :icon_biggrin: Thanks for the comments, everybody!

What the hell happened to that pickup ring?

Nice Snatches!

Three in a row deserves the distinction of Nice Snatching! Beautiful guitars.

You have to be careful when RhoadsScholar says lightweight, anything under 28lb means nothing to him. I've seen him lift the back of his truck to retrieve a pick.

Three in a row deserves the distinction of Nice Snatching! Beautiful guitars.

You have to be careful when RhoadsScholar says lightweight, anything under 28lb means nothing to him. I've seen him lift the back of his truck to retrieve a pick.

Bob is, indeed, a Mountain of a Man, with a heart to match. Great guy. The H-137 is going to make him look like he's playing a uke, but he'll make it sing.

None of these are what I would call lightweight, by any stretch, but I don't play 3 hour sets in a club, either. The weight won't bother me.

I failed to mention, without Gregg's help as a go-between, the deal on the 157 might not have happened. Bob had planned to attend PSP, but had to be out of town for work. Gregg was kind enough to act as our courier, bringing me the 157 and returning to the Detroit area with Bob's new 137, speakers, and cash. Thanks again, Gregg, we really appreciate it. This is not the first time Steiner has gone out of his way to help me. Maybe there is something to that PSP Guitar Giveaway karma thing!

Anytime Brother.

'twas the Maestro that provided the transportation space to and fro. It's what happens when good people get together.

Congrats on the three new beauties!

Brian~VSB is one of my all time favorite finishes for Heritage gits. And that 157 is simply gorgeous!! Wow!

But the middle 150 with the fat neck and Fralins gets my juices flowing. That is a working man's instrument in my view. It deserves to hit the stage.

Congratulations on your latest snatch-fest!

Kudos to Greg (Steiner for making this happen). Still got one more week to go in DC and will look up Greg next week (unless he has left the country with a 137, speakers and some cash). A marathon of travel but I get to come home to a 137 Uke ! ..... Brian and I worked out a fair trade for both of us and I was looking for the particular speakers I had traded to Brian on a previous transaction. I know I will miss the 157, but this will be my first 137 and I am a sucker for the heritage version of TV Yellow..... I will make sure to shoot a video and post it of me playing the 137 Uke.....

Oh, so the 157 ended up with you now? Congratulations! That collection of Sunbursts looks really amazing!

By the way, now that you like 157s, I'm selling a nice Cherryburst 157 and it would fit nicely in your collection I think ;)

Archived