Heritage Owners Club

What gauge strings on your semis and why ?

jazzalicious

10s on all electrics (solid, semi-solids, Teles, Strats, ect) except my Golden Eagle archtop (Thomastic Flatwound Goerge Benson 12s)

I used to use 11's or 12's then discovered the benefits of using 10's.

I use 9's now.

I prefer and use 9's because I only want to play and get the most out of it. I dont have much time to sit and play anymore. I dont find too much, or any! loss of "tone" .

My technique has changed. There is no over bending or weird pitch problems from pressing to hard.

I'm all over the place depending on the guitar and what I want out of it.

9's on my H535 because it came that way - set up well & intonated

10's on the Millie for a similar reason

11's on a 2 1/4 rim hollow body stoptail - ditto

12's on a 2 3/4 rim hollow w/ floating bridge & trapeze because it's loud and feels real good

13's on a 339 for slide

11's on my H150 & H157

10's on the other solid body electrics

That luxurious diversity comes from the lack of other hobbies.

11's on my semi. I have two sets laying around, one has 49 on the bottom and the other 52. Accident. I don't know which I prefer. I think I could use 10's on there and it would be fine. I think I use 11's because I don't want to make a big change when I switch from my arch top.

All may arch tops have 12's, round wound, 52 on the bottom.

Each category of gits I own gets the string guage that feels and sounds the best for the guitar. Semis can handle the widest variety of strings and still sound great however.

10's on my Strat, Tele and ASAT.

11's on all Semi's n Solid Body gits, except my Ibanez JSM100. It gets 12's (instead of the 13's they ship with from Ibanez)

12 D'Adario Flats on all Archtops except Golden Eagle, who gets 13 Tomastik Intfeld Bensons.

What a great question and a great variety of answers. Obviously, string type, brand and gauge is a personal preference. I have many individual selections and a wide (and I do mean wide) assortment of strings and gauges. My handle is "Stringman" for a reason. I buy and try them like others change chewing gum. It is a cheap source of entertainment for me. I also lack other hobbies and was stated above.

Here goes:

Fender Tele: 9.5-44 D'Addario EXL120+

PRS SC245: 9.5-44 PRS Nickel Wrap

Fender Strat: 10-45 D'Addario EPN110 Pure Nickel

PRS DC3: 10-46 Dean Markley Nickel Steels

Gibson ES-335: 10-46 D'Addario NYXL

Gibson ES-336: 10-46 D'Addario EXL110

Gretsch 6120: 10-46 D'Addario EXL110

Heritage H-576: 11-50 GHS Pure Nickel

Godin A6 Ultra: 9.5-44 D'Addario EXL120+

Taylor 510: 11-52 D'Addario EXP13 80/20 Bronze

I have a lot of strings at home always.

Stringman

10's on my one downtune guitar and everything else is changed to 9's or soon will be.

8's and 7's are on my list of things to try to see how I like them.

But right now it's pretty much 9's on everything.

Oh yea, the WHY is because they are much more comfortable on my fingers. It seems the older I get, the more i like comfort. Which probably explains why I stay in hotels instead of tents when camping these days and my motorcycle is more than twice the size of the one I started off on in the 80's. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Because of this thread I looked at my Millie and found the last time I changed strings was December 2014! Time for a change. The strings I took off were GHS Eric Johnson Nickel Rockers 10 - 50. I didn't like these on a 24 1/5 in scale guitar with humbuckers, I might have a different impression if I had put them on a Strat, I'm sure thats what they were made for. The new strings are Pyramid Nickel Classics 10 - 46, much better on the Millie. On the big acoustics (Heritage Johnny Smiths) I put on Thomastik-Infeld Jazz BeBops #BB112 12 - 50. When I put on the BeBops I was disappointed because the 3rd string was plain and not a wound string, I had never played an unwound 3rd string on a Jazz guitar. There is noticeably less acoustic volume and tone from the #BB112 strings but they are very easy to play. After using the #BB112s I changed my mind and really like them because of the playability and that they suit my style much better. Next string change report will be in about a year... maybe.

Archived