Heritage Owners Club

Would you like to buy a new guitar directly from the factory?

Polo

For what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new Heritage, my first call would be to a dealer. They've stood by Heritage for many years when others wrote them off.

I agree. And it would be to one of the dealers that regularly posts on HOC.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It seems to me that the guitars for sale on Heritage's web site which have to be bought from an independent Heritage dealer just gives independent dealers more stock to sell with no upfront costs to them. If someone is looking to buy a Heritage guitar online the independent dealers already have online presence and this just gives them additional online exposure. If you want custom features on a Heritage guitar you still have to work with a dealer the same as before. Win win yes no?

For what it's worth, if I were in the market for a new Heritage, my first call would be to a dealer. They've stood by Heritage for many years when others wrote them off.

I agree. And it would be to one of the dealers that regularly posts on HOC.

That would be my choice.

It seems to me that the guitars for sale on Heritage's web site which have to be bought from an independent Heritage dealer just gives independent dealers more stock to sell with no upfront costs to them. If someone is looking to buy a Heritage guitar online the independent dealers already have online presence and this just gives them additional online exposure. If you want custom features on a Heritage guitar you still have to work with a dealer the same as before. Win win yes no?

seems this way to me.

Newbie chiming in here... I took a look, added a guitar to my cart and put in my discount code and can buy an H-535 direct for $2471 + shipping. No dealer involved.

This, IMHO, is not a good idea. I am not currently a dealer, but I was for a custom builder for a number of years. This business model is perhaps a great way to unload inventory for the factory, but does not engender goodwill with dealers. It also means there's no buffer when I get my guitar and find it's been damaged in shipping or there is some other issue.

I would suggest the new owners at Heritage take a moment and re-think this. Because the next step is Guitar Center/Musician's Friend and no more independent dealers.

I am an authorized servicer for one of the big names in guitars and for many amp companies, and am closely associated with a music store in my town. It's really aggravating when a GC/MF customer ships an amp to us for warranty repair because GC/MF is not an authorized servicer and GC/MF tells the customer to send it to us. The store never sees the customer and gets zero benefit, yet has to take the time to deal with the amp or guitar and is typically not compensated properly for it.

I sincerely hope the good folks at Heritage pull their heads out and don't go this route. I N T E G R I T Y. It still means something.

Newbie chiming in here... I took a look, added a guitar to my cart and put in my discount code and can buy an H-535 direct for $2471 + shipping. No dealer involved.

This, IMHO, is not a good idea. I am not currently a dealer, but I was for a custom builder for a number of years. This business model is perhaps a great way to unload inventory for the factory, but does not engender goodwill with dealers. It also means there's no buffer when I get my guitar and find it's been damaged in shipping or there is some other issue.

I would suggest the new owners at Heritage take a moment and re-think this. Because the next step is Guitar Center/Musician's Friend and no more independent dealers.

I am an authorized servicer for one of the big names in guitars and for many amp companies, and am closely associated with a music store in my town. It's really aggravating when a GC/MF customer ships an amp to us for warranty repair because GC/MF is not an authorized servicer and GC/MF tells the customer to send it to us. The store never sees the customer and gets zero benefit, yet has to take the time to deal with the amp or guitar and is typically not compensated properly for it.

I sincerely hope the good folks at Heritage pull their heads out and don't go this route. I N T E G R I T Y. It still means something.

This...!

Welcome to the wild world of Heritage Guitars Little Leroy.....I'm lovin' the passion here!!!
Personally, I'm on the other side of the fence with this one. I think making the product available from both the website and at the factory is a brilliant move that will ultimately translate into MANY more sales.
If I were pumping 12 million dollars into creating a historic destination spot, I'd certainly want my product available on site.....and competitively priced to boot!
The last thing a prospective customer who's riding high off a factory tour wants to be told as he or she is strumming away on a newly buffed H-535 is that they simply have to.....choose a dealer.....contact them....wait for a response.....hash out a plethora of details......submit a deposit.....wait for the guitar to be built......make a final payment....wait on pins and needles for the guitar to be shipped to the dealer to be checked out.....wait on pins and needles for the guitar to be shipped to them....finally receive the guitar. No thanks says the impulse buyer who's most likely traveled quite a distance to take said tour, I'd rather hand you my credit card and walk out of here with this one if it's cool......Why?....because how wonderful would it be to tell folks that I bought this handbuilt H-535 directly from the factory where it was made, even got to meet some of the cats who built it......it was an INCREDIBLY UNIQUE experience, you should totally check it out some time!!
Seems to me that this is all about increasing exposure and creating more opportunities to move product....which in the long term will actually help the dealers who will still need to facilitate the customer who wants even one custom option on his or her guitar.
While it's not a popular thing to say around here, the old guard at Heritage AND the dealers with exception to Wolfe Guitars have historically done an embarrassingly poor job at promoting the brand as well as their own inventory. Perhaps this bold initiative will entice some of them to ratchet up their own game a bit with better self promotion. IE: Demo Videos, Special Events featuring Heritage Guitars, Contests, etc.
You can't just park a handful of new Heritage Guitars on G-Base or Reverb amongst a few dozen other lightly used similar guitars that cost hundreds sometimes even thousands lass and still expect to simply sell the guitars based of reputation of quality and repeat business.
Face it. The boutique guitar market isn't getting any smaller. You gotta hustle and you gotta create your own opportunities in today's "buy it now" market.
All this being said, I get it! I can absolutely understand why the non brick and mortar dealers with a substantial amount of inventory would be upset about these latest moves....I wish each and every one of them nothing but the best!

They are not doing factory seconds anymore

So quality control is that good? Not trying to troll.

Best Heritage purchase experience was discussing the options at the factory and picking out the wood with Marv, Jim and Bill. Worked out the price with a dealer that posts on this forum then picking it up a few months later.

Well put.......................and so darned true.

Gitfiddler, on 05 Apr 2017 - 2:13 PM, said:

Well put.......................and so darned true.

I recently received a well placed comment that expressed appreciations and how I am included in with a few others such as Jay and Paul as ambassadors of the Heritage product line with extensive product Knowledge, insight into the construction and Passion for "The Heritage"... I felt very grateful to be placed in such high regard from such a well respected colleague.

My opinion is "Corporate" is way underselling their own product by first lowering MAP and then selling direct at basement pricing... I know not how this will effect me, I can imagine how it effects Jay and Paul. I don't believe the product worthy of a Walmart business model... BUT masses do prefer Walmart. NOT ME!(I'm the minority)

So I will offer up these two questions......

1) Heritage offering direct sales, is this any indication of how sales are going or reflect the financial health of Heritage Guitar Company?

2) Does this show "confidence & power" from Heritage or a sign of "desperation & try anything to get increased sales"?

Just curious.

My wife and I toured the PRS factory last summer. For my birthday. Could not believe that we had not been before. Its only 20 miles from the house. Anyway, by the end of the tour, she was convinced that the only thing to do was to buy me PRS while we were at the factory. Turns out you can't. Have to go through a dealer, except during the annual PRS experience, when they have special editions and dealers on site.

I think PRS missed an opportunity. I would think the same would apply for Heritage. But offering a discount for an on line sale, I don't see how the dealers would be very happy about that. I hope this works out for them.

Actually, was encouraged when I saw the email and it mentioned the on line store. I was hoping for more than the admittedly nice t-shirt.

So I will offer up these two questions......

1) Heritage offering direct sales, is this any indication of how sales are going or reflect the financial health of Heritage Guitar Company?

2) Does this show "confidence & power" from Heritage or a sign of "desperation & try anything to get increased sales"?

Just curious.

John, I think the only people that can answer your question would be the corporate decision makers. The rest would be just guessing.

Under corporate they are building somewhere in my estimation 30-40 extra guitars a weekly versus previous ownership, The brand has Increased, Dealers have multiplied, Employee count has increased in the manufacturing and multiplied in the operations... The have turned the Pop and Pop builder into a production based business focused on production numbers and the guitars have never been better. Based on my observations... A growing company with a very specific operations plan.

I will express a few upsides this portal provides dealers.. We see up to date guitars we can purchase(a previous weakness), we can sell these units too. If a buyer consults with me from anywhere I can facilitate the deal and earn a commission without ever touching the guitar. But with me... I believe there is magic in the way the way a great guitar plays after I have had my post factory QC/Setup.

Gerard Melancon has "dealer stock" on his website. Each has the spec, serial number, when it was built, etc. Each one also has the dealer where the guitar is available. He generally doesn't sell them directly.

What this does is make it easier to track down a guitar that you like. You don't have to browse every listed dealer just to see if they have what you like. If you find a couple of Cajun Gentlemen that strikes your fancy, you can contact Eddies and Deluxe or whomever has it to find out more and work whatever deal you can do.

I think this is a good alternative. It keeps the dealers in the sales loop, yet gives a central place where you can browse all the available stuff. Mind you that Gerard runs a one man operation, so the number of available new units are probably more like 100 at a time. It might not work as well for Heritage, since they should have way more guitars. At that point, they could set it up so the dealers could post what they have, like they do on Reverb.

My wife and I toured the PRS factory last summer. For my birthday. Could not believe that we had not been before. Its only 20 miles from the house. Anyway, by the end of the tour, she was convinced that the only thing to do was to buy me PRS while we were at the factory. Turns out you can't. Have to go through a dealer, except during the annual PRS experience, when they have special editions and dealers on site.

I think PRS missed an opportunity. I would think the same would apply for Heritage. But offering a discount for an on line sale, I don't see how the dealers would be very happy about that. I hope this works out for them.

Actually, was encouraged when I saw the email and it mentioned the on line store. I was hoping for more than the admittedly nice t-shirt.

I can honestly say PRS is a good business model for brand growth and reputation.

I can honestly say PRS is a good business model for brand growth and reputation.

PRS is building outstanding quality guitars right now. But their price reflects that quality

Gerard Melancon has "dealer stock" on his website. Each has the spec, serial number, when it was built, etc. Each one also has the dealer where the guitar is available. He generally doesn't sell them directly.

What this does is make it easier to track down a guitar that you like. You don't have to browse every listed dealer just to see if they have what you like. If you find a couple of Cajun Gentlemen that strikes your fancy, you can contact Eddies and Deluxe or whomever has it to find out more and work whatever deal you can do.

I think this is a good alternative. It keeps the dealers in the sales loop, yet gives a central place where you can browse all the available stuff. Mind you that Gerard runs a one man operation, so the number of available new units are probably more like 100 at a time. It might not work as well for Heritage, since they should have way more guitars. At that point, they could set it up so the dealers could post what they have, like they do on Reverb.

What TalismanRich is describing is a similar business model that Roger Giffin also uses. He sells most of his inventory through a few select dealers, and customers can also buy from him direct. He ain't cheap, but he is certainly one of the best. Last I checked, buying direct from Roger is a bit more costly, but you get that 'extra' attention to your custom order.

It looks like Heritage is turning a significant corner, transitioning from their humble beginnings and very limited production of old school hand made guitars, to a multi-faceted boutique builder of hand made guitars. There may be a bit of dealer angst in the process, but they appear to have a plan...and working it in the manner that hopefully bring success to the company, customers as well as Heritage dealers.

PRS is building outstanding quality guitars right now. But their price reflects that quality

And if you go through the hoops of them accepting your build specs, which they will; (ie. Private Stock) you can bet it won't be cancelled.

But, as you said, you WILL pay for it.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

<snip>

It looks like Heritage is turning a significant corner, transitioning from their humble beginnings and very limited production of old school hand made guitars, to a multi-faceted boutique builder of hand made guitars. There may be a bit of dealer angst in the process, but they appear to have a plan...and working it in the manner that hopefully bring success to the company, customers as well as Heritage dealers.

I think I'll call them later today and ask about their plan. I'm very curious to know how they're going to handle returns and warranty issues with the guitars they sell direct.

I think I'll call them later today and ask about their plan. I'm very curious to know how they're going to handle returns and warranty issues with the guitars they sell direct.

Just tell em you a friend of Terry in the buffing dept and they'll likely put you right thru to the boss.

Just tell em you a friend of Terry in the buffing dept and they'll likely put you right thru to the boss.

LOL! You don't think they'll talk to me? Since you know Terry, whyn't you call? Let me know what they tell you...

Archived