Heritage Owners Club

My new 157

GrandpaLarry

I recently bought a new old stock H157. I've never before owned an LP style guitar, which made this even more exciting for me.

First impression is that it plays like a dream. I haven't yet even set it up or restrung it, still I find that chord positions are easily achieved, all notes ring out, and intonation seems to be spot on, all up and down the neck. It simply plays like butter!

I'm looking forward to getting to know my new partner who comes to play every day in a tuxedo, even better.

Any comments or suggestions concerning string choice or setup will be appreciated. As of now I'm planning on installing SIT Nickel Wound 10's.

Please excuse the quality of the photos. I'm hoping I can post something better soon.

I recently bought a new old stock H157. I've never before owned an LP style guitar, which made this even more exciting for me.

First impression is that it plays like a dream. I haven't yet even set it up or restrung it, still I find that chord positions are easily achieved, all notes ring out, and intonation seems to be spot on, all up and down the neck. It simply plays like butter!

I'm looking forward to getting to know my new partner who comes to play every day in a tuxedo, even better.

Any comments or suggestions concerning string choice or setup will be appreciated. As of now I'm planning on installing SIT Nickel Wound 10's.

Please excuse the quality of the photos. I'm hoping I can post something better soon.

Well, this is embarrassing. I tried to delete the photo in this post as the quality was so poor and ended up with a second post.

Two posts, but still just one guitar. I'll have to practice more in order to get the hang of this posting thing.

Well, this is embarrassing. I tried to delete the photo in this post as the quality was so poor and ended up with a second post.

Two posts, but still just one guitar. I'll have to practice more in order to get the hang of this posting thing.

If you are using photobucket or some other site, just copy the link location and use the Insert Image icon in the HOC form at the top of the form to paste the link. Then click Insert... and you are pretty much set. You can click preview to ensure all is well before posting.

Congratualtions on a great guitar! 157's are definitely "dressed up" for a show. Also, while I love my Fender guitars, I find that a H-150/157/Les Paul DO seem to make playing seem easier for some reason. Strings are, of course, a personal choice; I'm boring, and rarely pick up a pack of anything but D'Dario 10s. Enjoy your new guitar; the pics can wait!

G. Larry,

Sounds like you and your new 157 (LP style) are getting along great!

If you say it plays like butter and the intonation is spot on, just put the SIT 10s on and add a little polish. Play it for a week and report back to us.

Excellent... I have been enjoying mine lately too.

Congrats on the new Heritage !!!

Tone, Playability, Good Looks... these have it all. Tell us more of your experience when you have the chance. Oh.. and pics..

the pics can wait!

Ha ha... I think this is the first time I've seen THIS posted on the HOC forum... :lol::P

Congratualtions on a great guitar! 157's are definitely "dressed up" for a show. Also, while I love my Fender guitars, I find that a H-150/157/Les Paul DO seem to make playing seem easier for some reason. Strings are, of course, a personal choice; I'm boring, and rarely pick up a pack of anything but D'Dario 10s. Enjoy your new guitar; the pics can wait!

Shorter scale lengths are easier to play.... I use heavier gauges on LP styles versus a strat...

:this_thread_is_useless_without_

Shorter scale lengths are easier to play.... I use heavier gauges on LP styles versus a strat...

I realize that, but that's not all that's going on with the difference, I'm thinking.

I'm 100% with you regarding shorter scale guitars. In addition, the older I get the more I prefer them. My hands don't have near the flexibility they had when I was in my twenties.

I get around this when playing my Martin by using a capo whenever possible. Most of my electrics are 24 1/2" scale.

Its weird to me that some songs feel better on a 24.5" scale and others just seem to fit a 25" scale. The solution is, obviously, to have both!

I like the 157. That was my first Heritage, ordered it 7 years ago. The only downside I find is the weight.

Hey Larry, since you are having difficulty getting pictures posted, would you mind telling us what finish your nos 157 is?

By the way, I like to use www.imageshack.us for my image hosting. They are free and easy to use. :icon_thumright:

Here's a handheld grabshot complete with annoying glare from on camera flash. At least it shows the finish (I hope.)

post-2024-0-62854800-1306964140_thumb.jpg

Here's a handheld grabshot complete with annoying glare from on camera flash. At least it shows the finish (I hope.)

BTW, the guitar came with a very cool case. The dealer I bought it from had someone break in to a storage area awhile back. Stolen were some amps and quite a few instrument cases. Not having a case for my 157, he gave me a Gibson LP case from their Custom Art Historic Series. It fits beautifully and looks Oh So Cool.

BTW, the guitar came with a very cool case. The dealer I bought it from had someone break in to a storage area awhile back. Stolen were some amps and quite a few instrument cases. Not having a case for my 157, he gave me a Gibson LP case from their Custom Art Historic Series. It fits beautifully and looks Oh So Cool.

Not familiar with the case you got, but I know some LP cases are not as deep as others. This is only a problem if the top of the headstock touches the bottom of the case. If it clears, you're good.

Heritage uses a 17 degree tilt of the headstock and I believe Gibson's is shallower.

that thing looks awesome, congratulations!!

I used SIT strings all the time & liked them a lot, but can't find them any more, they are good in my book

SIT Strings are made in Akron, Ohio; just a few miles from where I live. My local guitar shop owner drives over and gets what he needs.

If you like you can get the strings from him. Contact either Kevin or Justin at:

Tema Guitar

4081 Ohio Rt. 44

Rootstown, OH 44272-9623

(330) 325-2279

Very nice, good luck with her. I have a transblack 157 with schaller p ups, like it very much. I just replaced the tailpiece with a gotoh, left the roller bridge though.

Very nice, good luck with her. I have a transblack 157 with schaller p ups, like it very much. I just replaced the tailpiece with a gotoh, left the roller bridge though.

Hfan~ I always get a chuckle whenever I look at your avatar. It's like your black lab is the proud owner of that beautiful 157. :biggrin_mini:

Hfan~ I always get a chuckle whenever I look at your avatar. It's like your black lab is the proud owner of that beautiful 157. :biggrin_mini:

He was until he pissed on it!

Archived