Heritage Owners Club

Heritage Business Status

Tallershadows

Yes, I can start the Gibson rumor.

I just heard on MSNBC that the Feds closed Gibson down permanently for repeated wood importation violations. The CEO and entire board of directors were arrested and sent to Yemen for interrogation.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey guys I really have nothing informative to add to this thread, but I would like to say I envy you guys that can pop in at the Heritage factory. There isn't even a Heritage dealer within 2 hours of me. To be honest I don't know where the closest dealer is.

Just be aware some of you guys are really lucky!

rumor mill redux goes like this:

1) Heritage is closing

2) Headstock is pointy and weird (to some)

3) Is Heritage training the next generation of crafstmen(and women)?

4) Heritage should advertise more (not).

5).....

Southpaw--- dang I love that lefty headstock----- is it as dreamy to play ? I forget what it's attached to .... a stat ?

rumor mill redux goes like this:

1) Heritage is closing

2) Headstock is pointy and weird (to some)

3) Is Heritage training the next generation of crafstmen(and women)?

4) Heritage should advertise more (not).

5).....

Southpaw--- dang I love that lefty headstock----- is it as dreamy to play ? I forget what it's attached to .... a stat ?

It's on the '86 VIP2, the neck on that one is different to my other Heritages, it feels wider and thinner, maybe a little like an Ibanez Wizard.

gallery_328_8_77009.jpg

It's also an all maple body with a set neck, a very unusual combo, and contrary to internet lore it's not that heavy at all for a maple body guitar.

This seems to be a problem with some other Heritage dealers as well. I called Eddie's Guitars a few weeks ago about a Heritage and the guy on the phone basically trashed Heritage saying that they're build quality has really dropped and that Heritage is a nightmare to deal with. I told him that was odd, because I recently got a newer 150, and mine's fantastic! I then told him that I would look elsewhere when looking for a Heritage. I really don't want to do business with a dealer if they are going to trash Heritage. Just thought I'd let you guys know.

I wouldnt buy a guitar for my dog from them!

Guest HRB853370

No matter what business you are in, no matter what product you turn out, no matter how good your product quality is, successful and enduring businesses are built around customer service and if you do not provide that at a very high level, you will not survive. I think Heritage has proved over and over that they put the customer first. Unfortunately, there are some Heritage dealers that do not share that philopsophy.

Guest HRB853370

News Flash: Heritage is preparing to unveil the "357 X", the most advanced guitar on the planet. Look for an upcoming press conference, well attended by industry media, from Jim Deurloo and Marv Lamb! Maybe this is what is causing the interruption in communications!

My point was that Heritage must have more advertisement.Is that a problem?I dont see a reason why everything has to be nice in here.I mean ''hey there is a problem'' why we shouldnt just accept it?

Why exactly must they have more advertisement? What makes this such a big problem? I mean, sometimes I also wish they did... but at the same time, Heritage does not owe you, me, or anyone else anything. They are casual guys who have been in the business since the business started booming... if they don't like dealing with email or the drama associated with the world of advertising and PR, that's a right I think they've earned.

Guest HRB853370

Plus, they are a small operation that does not have a big advertising budget most likely. They get their business from word of mouth. Nothing wrong with that. Of course word of mouth works two ways, so its always good to be on your A game as much as possible!

My point was that Heritage must have more advertisement.

To go to Parsons Street, to watch and listen to guys who started building great guitars as teenagers, to see what they've perpetuated, to realize the principals are in their seventies, to realize this is a passion and way of life well before it's a business is to realize these guys really don't have to do anything...with the possible exception of close during deer season. The probability of imposing some kind of Wharton business school model on Parsons Street is as likely as imposing one on...the Keebler elves!

The big name guitar builders have big budgets for whatever they need to promote their brand.

The small boutique and custom builders have little more than a phone and maybe a website.

Heritage falls somewhere in between the two above examples. They are an 'in-betweener boutique, custom guitar builder'.

Heritage absolutely *could* hire someone to answer the phone and do all their communications.

Should they?

Let's assume that Heritage sells 2000 guitars a year. A competent phone/email/marketing person would cost them $75K/year including benefits. To make sure they covered that guy or gal, they would have to raise the price of every guitar $50 to the dealers, who in turn would raise it $75.

While they would certainly GAIN sales from having someone who answered questions rapidly, they would also LOSE sales from having slightly higher prices.

The Heritage people no doubt expect that their DEALERS are carrying the customer-service bucket for them. It doesn't sound like that's the case all the time.

Guest HRB853370

Heritage absolutely *could* hire someone to answer the phone and do all their communications.

Should they?

Let's assume that Heritage sells 2000 guitars a year. A competent phone/email/marketing person would cost them $75K/year including benefits. To make sure they covered that guy or gal, they would have to raise the price of every guitar $50 to the dealers, who in turn would raise it $75.

While they would certainly GAIN sales from having someone who answered questions rapidly, they would also LOSE sales from having slightly higher prices.

The Heritage people no doubt expect that their DEALERS are carrying the customer-service bucket for them. It doesn't sound like that's the case all the time.

$75,000? Well then I think I will hop up there and apply Jack! That is an unrealistic number. $30,000 a year plus the benefits at 30% would tally to about $39,000. I dont think it would be ANY problem in this economy to find somebody at that price or even less. But if they really wanted that, they would have done it long ago. I must say though, it is nice to call a business and have a real person answer. The other day I called Peavey to ask them a question about an amp cover. And I also called ProMark, (the drumstick company) to ask about something as well. In both cases, a pleasant sounding female answered the phone. Not picking on Heritage however. They really don't need to take calls personally unless it is a dealer-for that reason, they are totally supported by a dealer network.

When my Dad was in his 70s, I tried to tell HIM some things he really should be doing.... He kind of chuckled. While I can sense and share somewhat the frustration that some of us have regarding Heritage's seemingly apathetic aproach to marketing and promotion, this ain't their first rodeo, and, bottom line, it's THEIR business to do with as they wish. Do "I" wish they were better business people that were more concerned with getting more dealers, more well known endorsees, etc? Yes. Do they have the right to work at their own pace and style, and, at any time lock the doors call it quits? Yes! I just hope they choose not to do so any time soon, but NO ONE has the right to demand anything from them, other than a fantastic guitar product. They do that quite well.

When my Dad was in his 70s, I tried to tell HIM some things he really should be doing.... He kind of chuckled. While I can sense and share somewhat the frustration that some of us have regarding Heritage's seemingly apathetic aproach to marketing and promotion, this ain't their first rodeo, and, bottom line, it's THEIR business to do with as they wish. Do "I" wish they were better business people that were more concerned with getting more dealers, more well known endorsees, etc? Yes. Do they have the right to work at their own pace and style, and, at any time lock the doors call it quits? Yes! I just hope they choose not to do so any time soon, but NO ONE has the right to demand anything from them, other than a fantastic guitar product. They do that quite well.

+1, well said.

I have seen more advertising lately from Heritage... after years of no advertising, they are now featured in Vintage Guitar magazine with a full page, color ad every month.

Wolfe Guitars is putting the Heritage name out there in a big way with these ads.... cool stuff.

Ive sent three emails to Heritage guitars over the last 4-5yrs. The emails were short and to the point. The responses were short and to the point with all the information I needed. I liked the direct nature of the text.

One read:

Yes.

Ren. Wall

:)

It was all I needed to know.

Ive sent three emails to Heritage guitars over the last 4-5yrs. The emails were short and to the point. The responses were short and to the point with all the information I needed. I liked the direct nature of the text.

One read:

Yes.

Ren. Wall

:)

It was all I needed to know.

One word from Ren? - Must have been really busy that day.

They should have a phone system...

Press 1 if you are calling to ask "are we going out of business?"

Press 2 if you are calling to ask "are you going to change your headstock?"

Press 3 Leave a message at the tone....

Just kidding. No they don't need anyone else telling them what to do.

If you call M-TR from 7:30-10AM EST, you will ALWAYS get someone to answer from Heritage.

Is it the best communication system, NO.

But to say no one answers is just plain not true. Call during the above hours, they will pickup.

I would not trust you will always get an e-mail response, but call at the above hours, YES.

Should they?

Well, from a sheer business model standpoint? Yes! They probably should do something. They are sort of notorious for their ill communication. It does not even have to be drastic, but they should have some plan in place so that if people call or email outside of certain times or conditions the odds are said communication will not be returned. If not, then why have voice mail or email? It is a pretty obvious need (of what magnitude is probably debatable).

I am not intending that as a slam. Maybe their passions (and time) lie elsewhere. I'm fine with that. However, maybe just take down the number & email and just have Q's go through dealers. As for now, people either seem to A) try to get through via phone or email and not get through then go on the Internet and complain about it, or B) get through and rave about how awesome the people are and how all of their questions were answered by whomever they dealt with bending over backward to help make things right (or better if they were good in the first place).

All that said, it gets a bit tiresome hearing the rumors of Heritage closing. I doubt it, and would certainly hope not. They are a great feel-good company that makes great guitars and even if they have flaws like everybody else, there is no other company I'd rather go through. Those flaws should be open for discussion IMO, same as the good, as long as it is truthful and balanced. As for dealers spreading that hearsay or speculation, that is a load of BS on their part. They should be ashamed for their lack of professionalism and should be held accountable on some level (even if only a karmaic one) for potentially slanderous statements.

Archived