Heritage Owners Club

Transformed Mahogany Eagle

Keith7940236

This is a 1998 Custom Mahogany Eagle that I recently acquired. It came with some finish issues (which I was aware of), and a Heritage floating pickup. You may recognize it from another post by a fellow HOC member.

0905121842a.jpgUnrepairedBack.jpg

The guitar was sent to The 12th Fret in Portland, Oregon to have the finish repaired. They did an outstanding job and it now has a beautiful back

IMG_3836.jpg

They also leveled and crowned the frets. The guitar has a wonderful neck and very low action.

I always felt that the pickup was a little lacking in character, and since I have a couple of other guitars with floating pickups, I considered converting this guitar to a set pickup. Early on a Monday morning I phoned Heritage and was able to speak with Ren Wall about installing a set pickup. He told me that he thought that he still had an original HRW somewhere and that he would be glad to do the work. After careful packing, I shipped the Eagle back to Kalamazoo to have the HRW put in. Later that week I spoke with Ren, he said that the pup was mounted and "I even found a neck pickup, so that ought to work out real well".

The Eagle showed up on Friday evening and I anxiously removed the case from the cardboard box. It was agony watching it sit there and get acclimated to the temperature change. Finally I couldn't stand it any longer and carefully opened up the case. When I peered inside my first thought was that something had gone terribly wrong, there were bits of mahogany all over the guitar and case.

1116121858a.jpg1116121900.jpg

After carefully lifting it out of the case, it became apparent that the guitar was fine, it was just full of wood chips from routing the opening for the pickup. in transit, the chips had fallen out of the body cavity and distributed themselves all around the guitar. It kind of drove home the importance of packing a guitar well for shipping. Here's a few shots of the finished product.

IMG_3851.jpgIMG_3850.jpgIMG_3845.jpgIMG_3829.jpg

As the original volume pot was converted to the tone control and a volume thumb wheel had been installed, there was no need to drill for mounted controls. I am very enamored with the HRW. The clarity and separation is remarkable I can't imagine a more pleasant sound.

Acoustically, I believe that this guitar would be hard to beat with a set of bronze round wounds. It has a very focused sound, much more so than the Golden Eagle. They are very different, yet equally pleasing. It is currently strung with a set of TI Swing 12's, which give it a more mellow, soft tone.

Believe me, there was a lot of thought involved before deciding to have a hole cut in this Eagle, but honestly, now that I have the result I couldn't be more pleased.

Brother, that's one marvelous mahogany!

You folks have no idea how wonderful that archtop sounds...I can only imagine the HRW is an enhancement. Clearly, if you're a fan of single set pup Eagle's, that's one of the nicest ever! You displayed great courage in trusting your intuition on this project. Congrat's brother!!!

Brother, that's one marvelous mahogany!

You displayed great courage in trusting your intuition on this project. Congrat's brother!!!

+1

Yep, took some stones to decide to cut a hole in that box. Of course having Ren Wall on board and in charge would help ease some anxiety.

Archived