Heritage Owners Club

NGD... Prospect in AWB finish

FredZepp

So... I received this 2013 Prospect Std. on Wednesday.

The transaction with RiclatRichard was flawless... he answered all questions and we came to agreement on Sunday evening. First thing on Monday morning I had a tracking number and it arrived Wednesday very well packed and with all case candy etc.. and just as described.

The Prospect is in Vintage Wine Burst (VWB) finish and it is striking in appearance. The flamed maple is not over the top intense, but the finish is really sweet. It's about a year and a half old.. but apparently hasn't been played much. Looking at the pics , I knew that it would need a set up and intonation set. The saddles in the bridge were in a straight line, so it obviously hadn't had the intonation set yet. The strings were original and I almost left them on as they seemed like new.. but I changed to 9's after some consideration. I spent some time adjusting the truss rod, the action and adjusting pickups ( Seth Lover model ).

The Heritage Prospect model is smaller than a 535 or a 335.. but also is constructed differently than those in that it is a floating block inside. This means the top and back are able to resonate freely. It reminds me of Larry's hollow 530 in the way it sounds unplugged. So far , I've probably spent half the time playing it unplugged... it has a nice acoustic tone that is really loud for the guitars size and reminds me of an archtop acoustic in some ways. When plugged in... this thing is alive. The resonance and sustain are fun to play with and will do it on a clean amp setting as well as with gain. It's surprising to strum a chord acoustically and then place your ear near the back of the guitar. The sustain and harmonics going on are stunning.

It has this unique tone in the mid register that really takes you to a nice place. I found it was exceptional for tunes that usually are done on a hollow Ric or a 335. I had an enjoyable time playing old REM and Stones songs ... and blues tunes. I haven't had a lot of time with it yet, but I must say I'm thrilled with this purchase.

Here are a few pics.. phone camera. I hope the color is right, the computer I'm on right now, I'm never sure. I'll check it when I get home..

20150107174559.jpg

20150108105307.jpg20150108105244.jpg

20150107174332.jpg

You're right - stunning guitar. Congrats on SNNGD (super nice). Seths/semi - I'm sure that guitar delivers fully in that realm. What's not to like? I've been toying with the idea of a Prospect and how a master volume placed at the top of the bottom f-hole would be so cool for vol swells...

Congratulations Fred. That is a beauty. The Prospect and Academy are a Great guitar platform.

I find myself playing them the most.

20150107174559.jpg

Awesome, Fred! That was a great deal on a gorgeous guitar. I know you'll do it justice, and enjoy it. Incredibly versatile model; try some of your favorite LP/H-150 stuff on it; bet you like it!

Yeah, I like the smaller size and I'm sold on the floating block. I did some Neil Young rock stuff on it and it's a blast..

Yeah.... yeah... you told me so... for a while now..

I ordered a full hollow Prospect Custom ALSB with p90s and Ebony bound,Inlayed and Blocked neck... Cant wait for her!

whoa .. that is quite the specs.. That finish will pop and the P-90s in a full hollow and an ebony board. That will sing... and be a looker besides.

Have I ever mentioned I think the Prospect is the best guitar Heritage makes? What a stunner, Fred. When you get it plugged in and cranked, and realize it's feeding back just a tad too much (some is wonderful!), try a piece of natural sponge behind the floating block. Doesn't take much, just a tiny wedge. Won't effect the tone or response. But will help control feedback.

Have I ever mentioned I think the Prospect is the best guitar Heritage makes? What a stunner, Fred.

Hmmm, Kenny, you MIGHT have mentioned it a time or two.... :laughing7:

Honestly, your unabashed endorsement is what made me consider one in the first place, so I have you to thank for that! They really are great guitars.

I ordered a full hollow Prospect Custom ALSB with p90s and Ebony bound,Inlayed and Blocked neck... Cant wait for her!

Prospects are great. I've been thinking about a similar Prospect -- full hollow, block inlays, etc -- but with humbuckers. Has anyone ever seen one? I would imagine that it's possible to make one, although I'm not sure how they would mount the humbuckers on a full hollow.

Archived