Heritage Owners Club

Started a New Heritage Trend?

DetroitBlues

When I placed my order for a 535 last year, one of the features I requested was a bound, inlaid headstock. Most of us know it's an unbound, silkscreen headstock on the standard model.

Recently, via Facebook, I've noticed a few new Heritages that a couple dealers have sold or have in their inventory with a bound, inlaid headstock.

Wonder if I started a trend or if others have found paying for the upgrade is so worth it?

Because come on man! Look at this? Who wouldn't take this over the standard design?

8BB1CE6F-144E-4943-8B56-D6F52113B540_zps

I'm not sure you started it as much as continued the trend :icon_thumright:

I also carried on the tradition. A bound and inlaid head stock was my number one cosmetic upgrade on my 2013 150.

The upgrade was definitely worth it to me!

DSCF6112_zps32c5ab93.jpg

Ooh,that's a tough call.

Sounds like you and certain dealer out of Florida might need to get together and figure out who's getting credit for what on this one.

I kid.

:laughing4::laughing4::laughing4:

Every teenage boy is pretty sure they invented sex once they have had it for the first time......

I think to maintain a sense of class above competition, all Heritages should be bound and inlaid headstocks. While I'd hate to drag Gibson in the discussion, for all of their bound necks, they have inlaid headstocks. Just one of those things that paying for a Standard LP over a Studio.

The problem with the inlay is sending the matching wood (when the face is the same wood and color as the body) out to get inlaid AND matching it with the right guitar upon return. THEN you'd have to stain it the same as the body color without tainting the inlay. I don't see how they'd do it.

My preference is the matching headstock with the decal -then- the inlaid MOP or abalone on the black face. In all cases, the headstock should be bound. YMMV.

At the end of the day it all comes down to cost to build a guitar. Bound headstocks take more time and skill to make. Add Pearl inlayed The Heritage and the cost has to increase even more.

Heritage needs to remain competitive in a VERY competitive market. By offering the customer a basic, unbound headstock H150 and the choice of MANY upgrades, they stay in the huge guitar ballgame.

Even Gibson has its more entry level models, and their crazy expensive Custom Shop models to meet every conceivable price point.

As always, its fun to talk about headstocks with this friendly group. Nobody gets hurt by openly hostile Heritage headstock haters here at the HOC, unlike some of the other guitar forums.

heritagegibsonheadstock.jpg

Let's be honest....bound or unbounded headstocks will not be the reason that Heritage Guitars are consistently being heralded by MANY as some of the world's finest guitars being produced.

This type of mass fan fare will only happen if Heritage Guitar decides to pay a charismatic, influential, most likely iconic guitar player to consistently

shout the praises of Heritage Guitars from the mountain tops as well as each corner of the internet. It's just the way things are in these modern times.

I wholeheartedly feel that Heritage needs to put every last marketing dollar they have into an old guitar case so that they can hand deliver that opportunity to Joe Bonamassa in person.

He would be THE PERFECT Heritage endorsee/spokesman end of story.

I find the tone more open with an inlaid headstock, while the sustain is obviously superior without it.

Anyone else?

This ^^^^ is the type of tone discussion there just isnt enough of.

That and pick up rings, solid timber v thin molded plastic.

I think to maintain a sense of class above competition, all Heritages should be bound and inlaid headstocks. While I'd hate to drag Gibson in the discussion, for all of their bound necks, they have inlaid headstocks. Just one of those things that paying for a Standard LP over a Studio.

I'm pretty darn sure that both a normal Heritage H-150 and a Gibson Les Paul Standard both come with an unbound headstock and a decal logo on the headstock. The two cancel each other out in a competition to see who makes a better guitar. Both Heritage and Gibson reserve their bound headstocks and headstock inlay for their above standard models such as the Heritage 555's or H-157's (or H-150 Deluxe models) and so on. Gibson likewise does that with their above standard lines which they usually call Custom Shop, ie Les Paul Custom etc. Both Heritage and Gibson parallel each other in these respects.

So the REAL way to tell which is a better guitar (in my humble assessment) is when you compare the other ingredients. Materials and workmanship, but for the purpose of this point, let me just say that Heritage has never used any of the following materials to build one of their mainstream line of guitars the way Gibson has at random intervals:

* Laminated (plywood) Rosewood fingerboards

* Richlite fingerboards

* Baked Maple fingerboards

* Mother of Toilet Seat trapezoid inlay

Heritage consistently uses better materials than Gibson. Period.

I'm pretty darn sure that both a normal Heritage H-150 and a Gibson Les Paul Standard both come with an unbound headstock and a decal logo on the headstock. The two cancel each other out in a competition to see who makes a better guitar. Both Heritage and Gibson reserve their bound headstocks and headstock inlay for their above standard models such as the Heritage 555's or H-157's (or H-150 Deluxe models) and so on. Gibson likewise does that with their above standard lines which they usually call Custom Shop, ie Les Paul Custom etc. Both Heritage and Gibson parallel each other in these respects.

So the REAL way to tell which is a better guitar (in my humble assessment) is when you compare the other ingredients. Materials and workmanship, but for the purpose of this point, let me just say that Heritage has never used any of the following materials to build one of their mainstream line of guitars the way Gibson has at random intervals:

* Laminated (plywood) Rosewood fingerboards

* Richlite fingerboards

* Baked Maple fingerboards

* Mother of Toilet Seat trapezoid inlay

Heritage consistently uses better materials than Gibson. Period.

No, the LP Standard is inlaid.

My point was to step it up a notch and bind the headstocks. Go beyond Gibson.

But the difference is Heritage uses REAL MOP and G brand does not.

Archived