Heritage Owners Club

Who has bought a New Heritage guitar from a dealer in the last 10 years?

skydog52

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I bought one about a year ago, after the take over. (wont name dealer) It was a custom order that wasn't correct. ( it was supposed to be a solid block as opposed to a floating block) Heritage worked with me and I kept it. I had to take it in for a fret leveling shortly after I received it. I also asked for a 60s style neck which it doesn't have. Maybe to actually get that it would have been custom work, I don't know. The latest thing is that the finish is getting small cracks in it. I took it to a luthier and he said nitro finishes will do that but it was very uncommon for it to happen withing the first year. I'm not perusing any thing with the company about that. 

To be fair, I'm glad the center block is floating. It makes the guitar a completely different beast. It's been my #1 since I've owned it. 

I purchased one of the 30th Anniversary H-157 models from a dealer. I had to have the frets leveled upon receiving it, the guitar was virtually unplayable. The dealer (CME) did right and reimbursed me for the work.

I've bought 3 new Heritage guitars and 1 new (n.o.s.) Heritage amp from three different H. dealers in the last 10 years. 

Each buying experience was superb, so much so that I returned to purchase a few used Heritages and a couple of new G&L's. 

Just Juan from America Classic Guitars.  Superb dealer that delivered to my home.

I have a good friend that purchased two very customised from Green Oak Guitars.  

All 3 are stellar guitars!

Oops, forgot my customised from the factory.  That was purchased through a kazoo, MI dealer.

All 4 are well above average!

In the past 10 years I have bought a total of three brand new Heritage guitars from Heritage guitar dealers.
One was from a local dealer but there are no longer any stocking dealers in my area.
One was from my favorite dealer in Michigan.
One was from my favorite dealer in Jupiter Florida.

I've also bought used Heritage guitars from a certain undocumented used Heritage guitar dealer in Michigan who needs no introduction. ;)
Only good things to say about the aforementioned.

Two, both from Jay W, both were custom orders.  One needed the plek treatment, both needed work and some hardware replacement which I expected and factored into the price.  If I din't have access to a very good luthier I would have chosen another brand.

All of my Heritage guitars were bought in the past 12 months.  I bought 2 from Green Oak which I believe were considered NOS and I believe they were custom spec'd and ordered.  They are both *perfect* and I only had to change strings.

I bought one 2016 model brand new from Cream City Music.  There were 3 tiny imperfections in the finish just behind the bridge which I thought at the time were from Cream City's tech when she set up the guitar.  Cream City felt they were there from the factory finishing and I'm now inclined to think they are correct.  Cream City gave me an good price and their customer service was very attentive and helpful.  Apart from this the guitar is, again, perfect.  

Since I use 9s I always assume I'll do a setup once a guitar arrives in Santa Fe.  

The rest of my Heritage guitars were purchased "used".  I've had no issues with my Heritage guitars, i.e. finish, electronics or neck movement.  The oldest is 1987 and the newest 2016.

I hope this is helpful info...

I’ve only been fortunate to buy one custom order.

I picked up directly from the plant.

I was not happy with the quality or should I say attention to detail.

my bridge posts were not fully seated in the body.

they fixed it on the spot, but that’s not the point.

I bought a new 155 DC from Wolfe back in 2014. The other 13 were all pre-owned. 

Ah, about 12 new Heritages from 2005-2010-ish.

The guitars were all wonderful, but the experience from several different  dealers varied. 

2 Custom orders. Both from MojoMusic in Edwardsville, IL. One was a crappy factory experience that Lane took care of. The other went flawlessly, much as the guitar was, uh, is flawless. 

I bought a new old stock 1998 (N serial number) in 2013 from Smith Music in Decatur, IL. It was then, and continues to be, a stunner in feel, sound, and visually,  

Call me a cynic, but the timing of this thread has me wondering if the OP wonders what we are all freaking out about in regards to the company's recent changes. He's probably right. If we ALL were on board, or we ALL weren't, it probably would have very little effect on the company's success or failure, based on our small numbers, and even smaller new purchases. 

I will cherish and miss the charm of the old guard, but don't live in a land of unicorns and rainbows; either the original owners sold, or they locked up the doors forever. I hope to see you all in August at the VFW and Hotel. 

I was forced to order my H150 online from Jay Wolfe 2 months ago, because there are no Heritage dealers here in Utah. The people at Wolfe's were a pleasure to deal with. Although, I must admit, the guitar was in desperate need of a complete setup when it arrived. The action was slide-high and intonation was off. Surprised it left the factory that way. Took it to my tech (who is gifted... a true craftsman.) After he worked a little magic the guitar is superb; it's now my #1.

I bought a 2012 Wineburst H150 from Jay Wolfe which supposedly was equipped with nickle hardware and Seth Lover pickups. When I got the guitar, it showed up with no tools in the case pocket, chrome hardware, and Pearly Gates pickups. Also the fretwork, and the way the nut was cut, was abysmal, along with file marks in the binding. It cost me $2240 so a lot more than I paid for my used H150. I bought my used one for $1200, and I bought it without pickups as I didn't want what was in it ,so the original owner cut me a deal. In retrospect I wouldn't have paid that much for my new one if I knew what I was getting into. To get the guitar where I wanted it, I spent another $500 in parts (pickups, hardware, new pots), and a bit more for my luthier to correct the fret and nut issues. To be fair, the pickup thing was no big deal cause I was going to yank them out anyway. And, the guitar turned out great in the end. I just wanted to try a new to me H150, and I wanted one with a longer neck tenon which they were offering in 2012, and I couldn't find a MINT used one with the tenon. That's my story! 

3 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I bought a 2012 Wineburst H150 from Jay Wolfe which supposedly was equipped with nickle hardware and Seth Lover pickups. When I got the guitar, it showed up with no tools in the case pocket, chrome hardware, and Pearly Gates pickups. Also the fretwork, and the way the nut was cut, was abysmal, along with file marks in the binding. It cost me $2240 so a lot more than I paid for my used H150. I bought my used one for $1200, and I bought it without pickups as I didn't want what was in it ,so the original owner cut me a deal. In retrospect I wouldn't have paid that much for my new one if I knew what I was getting into. To get the guitar where I wanted it, I spent another $500 in parts (pickups, hardware, new pots), and a bit more for my luthier to correct the fret and nut issues. To be fair, the pickup thing was no big deal cause I was going to yank them out anyway. And, the guitar turned out great in the end. I just wanted to try a new to me H150, and I wanted one with a longer neck tenon which they were offering in 2012, and I couldn't find a MINT used one with the tenon. That's my story! 

Great sounding axe!  You're not using a pick, are you?  Which VOX ?

13 hours ago, Kuz said:

Ah, about 12 new Heritages from 2005-2010-ish.

The guitars were all wonderful, but the experience from several different  dealers varied. 

I've been blessed to have owned two of them.

One of which I still have.

Archived