Heritage Owners Club

the deed is done!

big bob

As it turns out the pre-made pickguards I found are not drilled the same as the one on the 357. In the end I ordered a sheet of material and cut the guard and truss rod cover myself. Still need to make a cover for the electronics cavity. Install of the bigsby was super quick and easy. Got the covers made and everything installed in an evening.

here are some pics.

before

beachbird009.jpg

during

beachbird012.jpg

after

checkerbird008.jpg

truss rod cover

checkerbird005.jpg

beachbird018.jpg

Muuhhhh haaaaahhhhhhhh!

Another successful trip to the lab! Igor, fetch me the Sound City...

Nice work BB.

Kenny, I cut the material with a coping saw(kinda like a small hand powered band saw) then sanded the edges to final shape. The bevel was added with a scraper that I made for scraping binding.

Marty, I figured the vibramate would be ok on this because the 357 has a flat top. We will see soon enough. As for the knobs, they need to be switched but I'm not sure with what?

DB, if I'm cleaver I might be able to resurface the top of the rings with some checkered material!

Way to have at it , Lance..

First, that was a great git to grab in the first place

Second, nice work making it you own, as always.

I think that you've got a couple of details to work out and it's done..

I think, after a bit more time staring at the pics, the guard should be cream and black not white and black. The white is too stark, to colder colour( white isnt a colour I know). Even if you swapped for white p/up surrounds and black/white humbuckers it wouldnt quite work the same as a cream/black p/guard. The natural timber colours are nice and warm and the white looks kinda forced on there.

Just passing a casual thought and in no way trying to take away from the awesome of what you have done.

Lance, I REALLY like the Bigsby, super cool.

NOW, we have to do something about your new pickguard, TRC, and the knobs!!!! LOL (I really don't care for the PG or TRC, but it doesn't matter what I think, it's your guitar).

If you do keep the PG & TRC on that guitar, then I am with Josh.... you have to go black pickup rings and black speed dials.

If you go back to the original PG & TRC, PLEASE put some amber lampshade or amber speed dials on that guitar!!!

Either way, you snagged an incredible guitar!!!!

I think, after a bit more time staring at the pics, the guard should be cream and black not white and black. The white is too stark, to colder colour( white isnt a colour I know). Even if you swapped for white p/up surrounds and black/white humbuckers it wouldnt quite work the same as a cream/black p/guard. The natural timber colours are nice and warm and the white looks kinda forced on there.

Just passing a casual thought and in no way trying to take away from the awesome of what you have done.

I agree about the "cream" color contrasting with the white as well. But it's just our opinion.

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I do agree that the guard a trc would be better (just perfect actualy) in black and cream checkers. That however is a product I just can't locate. The cream guard that came with the bird, no offence to Heritage, was made really sloppy, I don't want to clean it up because I want to kep it origional. I also would call it fleshy colored. The new guard turned really nice fit and finish wise. especialy doing the beveal with a scraper made a perfect edge, no file or sanding marks at all. Will it stay on the bird? who knows. The material's pattern at least the white part is just the backing showing through so I may be able to change the white to cream. I have some scrap I am running tests on now. As for the Knobs, I don't like the gold reflectors for this guitar, however I really don't like black speed knobs, ever! any other thoughts?

The bird sounds fantastic through both my amps, the tom short pups are really nice they do gain/crunch really well. I do also like the clean tones from them but not as much as the lollar mini hums on the 170. This one is def. a keeper.

Gentlemen, thanks for the kind words. I do agree that the guard a trc would be better (just perfect actualy) in black and cream checkers. That however is a product I just can't locate. The cream guard that came with the bird, no offence to Heritage, was made really sloppy, I don't want to clean it up because I want to kep it origional. I also would call it fleshy colored. The new guard turned really nice fit and finish wise. especialy doing the beveal with a scraper made a perfect edge, no file or sanding marks at all. Will it stay on the bird? who knows. The material's pattern at least the white part is just the backing showing through so I may be able to change the white to cream. I have some scrap I am running tests on now. As for the Knobs, I don't like the gold reflectors for this guitar, however I really don't like black speed knobs, ever! any other thoughts?

The bird sounds fantastic through both my amps, the tom short pups are really nice they do gain/crunch really well. I do also like the clean tones from them but not as much as the lollar mini hums on the 170. This one is def. a keeper.

If you're changing it to cream, try soaking it in coffee.

Archived