Heritage Owners Club

New Korina H-357 Day

DavesNotHere

Fan-Friggin-Tastic!!! Wow - what an awesome guitar. Thought I felt a shift in the force... you and 'Bird have the 357Club well in hand. Happy Birthday, congratulations, and thanks for that great story!

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent ! ... I was wondering when we could share your New Heritage Day with you.

The pics add a lot to the story and how great it is to see it at different stages.... and then with the family at Parsons Street to pick it up... very cool stuff.

Nice custom features... inlays and wood guard in particular. A new 357 Custom..... Congrats !

Guest HRB853370

One day when one of them inherits, it, they'll be able to tell the story about their trip "up North" to get Dad's guitar.

Dibbs!!!

That is a very,very nice 357! I'm glad you got it the you wanted. Marv would not make mine my way.

OH YEAH!!!

great to finally see the finished project!! it's amazing!!

I have been privy to bits & pieces of the development of this, as Dave & I had both our 357's on-the-go at the same time....what a killer guitar that is!! I really dig the wood pickguard!

OH YEAH!!!

great to finally see the finished project!! it's amazing!!

I have been privy to bits & pieces of the development of this, as Dave & I had both our 357's on-the-go at the same time....what a killer guitar that is!! I really dig the wood pickguard!

the pick guard is kinda over the top dont you think, i prefer something more traditional like cherkerboard!

Thanks for all the kind words, but it was Marv and The Heritage team that made it happen.

The pickup are Fralin P92s, standard wind. I didn't want to get too cute.

The wiring is just a simple neck, bridge, and blend positions. Again I didn't want to get too cute there either.

Those are things than could be changed rather easily later if need be.

We kind of went around and around regarding the color. My first choice was a VSBish finish, and my second was orange. He pretty much dismissed the VSB quickly and wasn't too keen on the orange at first, but when he sprayed a few samples he called me and said "Dave, I believe I can get an orange that you will like"

He said that korina has varing shades of green tint to it and that makes it had to predict what the color will look like when it's sprayed on any particular piece. he told me that "if it was maple I could do any color you want". So I said how about doing me a maple 357 and he laughed and said "I did one, it was hard as hell to do, Frankie Ballard has that one and it's the last one I'm ever doing"

He said he had never did a trans finish on a korina, they were all either solid colors or naturals. He sent me a number of photos and they were either too red or too pink or too yellow. Finally he got the orange one that he sent to me.

When I called and said "YES! That's it!" he laughed and said "Ok I just hope I can remember how I did that one. You know I don't write these mixes down, if I did that I'd have recipies and samples all over the place"

So I said, "How about if I send the sample back for a reference"

"Great idea, I should be able to match it that way"

BTW the recipie was first spray it yellow, then add watered down red (pink) over the yellow.

I sent half back and kept the other half as part of the "case candy"

When we were talking pickups he said" Let me let you talk to Rendall, but I be standing right next to the phone. If he trys to talk you into anything too out there I'll cut his nuts off"

The only thing that I asked for and he flat out refused to do was a MOP logo head stock. He said "That's just more trouble than I want to get into" So I said well since I don't want a stinger how about no black on the front of the headstock either.

I got the "Well, I can do that if you want but..." but this time I went with my gut and said let's just not do the black. I think it turned out great, but I'm just a little biased.

I also love the wood pickguard and back plate. He wasn't completely sold on that idea at first and then he called me back a week or so later and told me he built a few prototypes and he thought it would work out fine.

Anyway, there were lots of conversations over six months and I'm going to miss picking up my phone and hearing "Hi Dave, This is Marv Lamb with Heritage Guitars......"

So please indulge me with another batch of photographs. These do not do the guitar justice.

DSCF3895.jpg

DSCF3903.jpg

DSCF3905.jpg

DSCF3898.jpg

DSCF3902.jpg

DSCF3925.jpg

Absolutely guaranteed to deliver you a cunning array of stunts. You chose well and delivered a real life Heritage story.

Congrats.

Thanks! :)

Archived