Heritage Owners Club

Last Incoming Ever: Part 5 The American Eagle

MartyGrass

I just pulled the trigger on a 1994 American Eagle. I can't post pix on my work PC, but here's the link.

http://s796.photobucket.com/user/mgoetting/library/American%20Eagle#/user/mgoetting/library/American%20Eagle?sort=3&page=1&_suid=1373390088967044608927423544664

I'll provide better pix when I get it in hand.

I know that "interesting" is a euphanism. I felt a reluctance to pursue the guitar because of the intense Americana motiff. But it has grown on me.

A bit more literal than that...If I've learned anything in my decades on this marble, it's that anything like this can't be digested through (poor) photos. It's a bit kitschy...but I can imagine it being pretty charming in person. The fact that the platform is a gorgeous handmade solid wood guitar doesn't hurt.

Is that the space shuttle on the PG?

Congrats! That tailipece is, ahhm, striking! Beautiful guitar.

Yes! A Liberty Bell. goes perfect with the American flag, I would say.

I know that "interesting" is a euphanism. I felt a reluctance to pursue the guitar because of the intense Americana motiff. But it has grown on me.

I know how that can happen....years ago, I could not even consider the head stock we all know and love.....much less all that is bolted onto that American Eagle....but today, appreciating all that comes with time....count me in..I like it.........it sure is big, curvy and beautiful........the wood on the back...is stunning.

Now that's an American beauty!

There's no better guitar for a Fourth of July party, that's for certain. I'm sure this bird will nest well with the others, and also soar it's own beautiful way through the sky.

I considered having Heritage make another pickguard without a pickup for acoustic use, especially since there's a tacky space ship on the current pickguard. And I already have another tailpiece I could use to replace the gaudy bell. But then I learned more about the inspiration for the guitar.

Think back to 1986 (if you're old enough). Heritage had just started on its difficult path, including the legal and financial hurdles to become an independent guitar maker. They only produced the H140 and Golden Eagle up to that point. The American economy was emerging from a huge recession, but times were still tough. The country was still in the cold war.

Then in January of 1986, the Challenger exploded in the worst space disaster ever. The country was stunned and demoralized. It was truly a low point.

Heritage responded with the American Eagle, a tribute to what they loved about what their country is and what it symbolized. This was and still is the pinnacle model of their company. They had Maudie Moore do the special inlays and master archtop luthier Aaron Cowles tap tuned the top and back, no ones better on earth for the jobs. They designed the abalone figures for the fretboard and the liberty bell with great care. They used the best woods they could get. Marv Lamb rolled the necks and Bill Paige did the bodies. And JP Moats had the Challenger placed in the pickguard. Every owner inspected each guitar and signed the label.

So I learned what the guitar meant to the Heritage owners and what they were trying to say with it. Yes, they are dorky. And no, the American Eagle doesnt have the class of a Gibson Citation. But I think Ill leave it the way it is. Ive come to accept it.

I considered having Heritage make another pickguard without a pickup for acoustic use, especially since there's a tacky space ship on the current pickguard. And I already have another tailpiece I could use to replace the gaudy bell. But then I learned more about the inspiration for the guitar. Think back to 1986 (if you're old enough). Heritage had just started on its difficult path, including the legal and financial hurdles to become an independent guitar maker. They only produced the H140 and Golden Eagle up to that point. The American economy was emerging from a huge recession, but times were still tough. The country was still in the cold war. Then in January of 1986, the Challenger exploded in the worst space disaster ever. The country was stunned and demoralized. It was truly a low point. Heritage responded with the American Eagle, a tribute to what they loved about what their country is and what it symbolized. This was and still is the pinnacle model of their company. They had Maudie Moore do the special inlays and master archtop luthier Aaron Cowles tap tuned the top and back, no ones better on earth for the jobs. They designed the abalone figures for the fretboard and the liberty bell with great care. They used the best woods they could get. Marv Lamb rolled the necks and Bill Paige did the bodies. And JP Moats had the Challenger placed in the pickguard. Every owner inspected each guitar and signed the label. So I learned what the guitar meant to the Heritage owners and what they were trying to say with it. Yes, they are dorky. And no, the American Eagle doesnt have the class of a Gibson Citation. But I think Ill leave it the way it is. Ive come to accept it.

Great perspective! Makes me appreciate that archtop even more.

I'm a long time aerospace fan (Dad and Uncle both in the program) and still have my NASA Challenger Mission Patch and Shuttle photo framed in my home.

Too bad there wasn't a Certificate of Authenticity, signed by all of the owners/builders for that unique model.

Gotta love the red, white and blue binding! Mark you are on a roll with last incoming ever. Beauty

I've got some better pix.

The bell needs buffing, but there are no scratches or corrosion. The spruce is tight with a lot of horizontal rays and character.

DSC01480_zpscccd5604.jpg

The neck is made from a single billet with the center piece quarter sawn.

DSC01491_zpse4e0d2b2.jpg

The quilt speaks for itself.

DSC01484_zps9f88b8d6.jpg

It's getting set up now on the east coast. I won't have it for a couple of weeks.

I considered having Heritage make another pickguard without a pickup for acoustic use, especially since there's a tacky space ship on the current pickguard. And I already have another tailpiece I could use to replace the gaudy bell. But then I learned more about the inspiration for the guitar. Think back to 1986 (if you're old enough). Heritage had just started on its difficult path, including the legal and financial hurdles to become an independent guitar maker. They only produced the H140 and Golden Eagle up to that point. The American economy was emerging from a huge recession, but times were still tough. The country was still in the cold war. Then in January of 1986, the Challenger exploded in the worst space disaster ever. The country was stunned and demoralized. It was truly a low point. Heritage responded with the American Eagle, a tribute to what they loved about what their country is and what it symbolized. This was and still is the pinnacle model of their company. They had Maudie Moore do the special inlays and master archtop luthier Aaron Cowles tap tuned the top and back, no ones better on earth for the jobs. They designed the abalone figures for the fretboard and the liberty bell with great care. They used the best woods they could get. Marv Lamb rolled the necks and Bill Paige did the bodies. And JP Moats had the Challenger placed in the pickguard. Every owner inspected each guitar and signed the label. So I learned what the guitar meant to the Heritage owners and what they were trying to say with it. Yes, they are dorky. And no, the American Eagle doesnt have the class of a Gibson Citation. But I think Ill leave it the way it is. Ive come to accept it.

I like that story. Would be a shame to change anything, kitsch or not.

The story is very cool. I'm a bit put off by all the Apple Pie Bling, but do certainly resonate with the Challenger reference (what a vivid memory of that day, so long ago now). All that aside, the woods on this guitar are simply stunning. Nice score, MG! May this continuing series live on...

Archived