Heritage Owners Club

How did you first hear about Heritage Guitars?

HANGAR18

How did you first hear about Heritage Guitars?

For me it was a natural progression of steps. My story starts when I was still playing drums in high school garage bands and I would ask the guitar players to show me how to play a riff or two. The Les Paul design was my enduring favorite but I had a lot of different kinds of guitars pass through the revolving door of my guitar collection. After high school, I went many years without owning a guitar (or drums) because I just got busy doing other things in life.

Later in life, I made the consience decision to get back into guitars instead of drums, only this time I wanted to take the subject a lot more seriously. I went to a small Gibson dealer and made a deal, trading a large caliber handgun (a Desert Eagle chambered for .357 Magnum) for a brand new and very nice Epiphone Les Paul Standard (trans red with a quilted Maple top). But because I am very mechanically inclined and like to build stuff, I not only wanted to play the guitar but I also wanted to know how it was made, down to the most subtil details. My driving question at the time was, "What's the difference between the Epiphone Les Pauls and the Gibson USA Les Pauls?" Learning about the materials, construction methods and even doing setups was just as important to me as playing, maybe more. But that's just me; I'm into that sort of stuff.

Eventually I felt like I had become an expert on how a Les Paul was made. I felt like I knew everything there was to know about them and I had owned many Epiphones as well as Gibsons. Then one day, I walked into a small guitar shop and I saw a whole bunch of expensive guitars hanging on the wall which clearly resembled the Les Paul design, but they were different... a lot more wood to look at. Brilliant flame Maple tops, flame Maple finger rests, binding everywhere and the name The Heritage on the headstock. I thought to myself immediately, "Who the hell do these guys think they are?!!".

Well, the owner of the shop told me the story about Heritage guitars. My previous knowledge of the Les Paul guitar design was the one thiing that really helped me recognize right away that these Heritage guitars were not Les Paul copies but instead, they were actually BETTER than the Gibson products I was already familiar with. If anything, Heritage makes a more pure, more legitimate Les Paul style guitar than Gibson does. Over time, all this new information fully settled into my brain and then my next course of action became obvious. "Sell all my Gibson and Epiphone guitars and replace them all with Heritage guitars", and that is exactly what I did.

I was working in a small mom & pop when I was in my early 20's and a Heritage came in. It was hanging next to the Gibsons on the wall. It was a 150 and hanging next to the Les Pauls. I assumed it was another brand under the Gibson umbrella. The manager of the store set me straight on it. That guitar didn't stay long. No Heritage ever did when one came in used be it there or in the GC then Mars Music I worked in after that. People would inevitably come in looking for a Gibson and ultimately was disappointed (at the time, Gibson was having troubles with quality). So, if I had a Heritage that was similar in model, I'd point them that way. ...and the Heritage was gone.

I met my first Heritage when a friend told me about a guitar he had inherited from his grandfather. I was just getting into electric guitars after 30 years of goofing around with the same old Alvarez acoustic. My friend is not a musician. He can barely play the radio. So he had no idea what to do with it, how to care for it or even what it was. All he knew was that I played guitar, was an engineer and could figure out most anything. Holy Cow.

So, he dropped of the 1994 Heritage Super Eagle he inherited from his grandfather...who played it at both Clinton inaugurals. I started learning about the guitar and the more I learned, the more I wanted one. About 9 mo. into my babysitting job, he offered to sell it to me. We agreed on a fair price and it was mine, and I hated playing it. It was too big, too deep and the finger tailpiece was a pain to string.

058-1.jpg

I explained to Cord that I was going to sell or trade the Super Eagle and would gladly sell it back to him for what I paid, if he wanted. He said no, it was mine to do with what I pleased, no worries or hard feelings. I sold it to a jazz-head friend that plays it out and about all the time now. I put the money in the bank and got busy building a bunch of cigar box guitars for customers and a tele for myself.

I have another friend that plays professionally. He's been romancing an ES335 dream for a year or more. He mentioned he nearly bought one, but at $3000, it was too big a stretch. I told him the Heritage story and that if I wanted an ES, I'd buy a Heritage H535 and hang onto a grand or more. Plus, get a better guitar in the bargain. To prove it I started looking. 5 months of research and I found him the perfect guitar. Only problem was, I bought it for myself. He should have done his own homework :icon_smile: Now he'll get to see what I meant...and eat his heart out.

I've posted several pics here already, so I won't keep reposting them...well, maybe just one. I'll do a full review and unpacking video when it arrives and has time to acclimate. It's coming from New York City, to Norman, OK. Bet the climates a little different. I'll leave it for a day or two before digging in.

Thanks for asking.

535-3.jpg

I wish my grand introduction was as elaborate... But its not.

A few years ago, a co-worker and friend, KBP810, walked past my desk before I really knew him, carrying a Les Paul hardshell case. At the time, I was getting into playing guitar again and wanted to see it. Just a basic LP Studio, but it was a true USA Gibson! The guitar suffered a headstock break sometime after unfortunately. He sold it and bought a rather highly flamed 535. I thought the guitar was over the top with all the flame and finish work. I've never seen anything like it, but it didn't thrill me either. He told me about Heritage guitars and I was somewhat interested. Fast forward a few months, and the two of us would have a guitar jam after work every Friday. He mentioned this forum and how he's friends with a few members, one of which invited us over to his home to jam on some Heritages. I was welcome to try any guitar the gracious homeowner pulled out of his secret stash. I was floored when I picked up his custom H150, with a massive flame top, in a nearly 3D clownburst finish. The fretboard was void of markers, but was made out of slickest, darkest ebony. It felt and sounded perfect to me, and my quest for the perfect Heritage began...

(....My quest is however drawing to an end as I'm looking for what doesn't exist. Sad to say, perhaps the only Heritage I may ever own is my 445. I don't have the money like some do on here to custom order a new guitar. I love reading and hearing the thrill of everyone who discovers a Heritage guitar or finds the next beauty to add to their collection. I enjoy the fellowship here more so than finding the perfect guitar. If I can contribute in other ways beside ownership to the forum, I'm happy. I'll search for used Heritages as often as possible, I'll try as many as I can, and probably buy/sell frequently as trying before I buying is rather difficult. For me, it has to feel and sound right. Then I'll go on looks. So far, I've been putting the cart before the horse with looks before feel. The search continues, but for how much longer? Probably, not much...)

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread.... Let's hear some more awesome stories!

They sold Heritages in a small boutique guitar store called "Guitar Czar" in Salt Lake City, Utah.

I got to play many of the hollow body models, and they were great, but I was really looking for

a solid body. It. wasn't tlll a few years later that I saw a beautiful H150 on The Gear Page that

stirred my interest. It had a flametop like Billy Gibbon's Pearly Gates that I loved, and as most

of you guys can probably relate to, it,was owned by Brent! So yes I got my introduction to

Heritage guitas through Brent. My first one was a tad too heavy for me at 10lbs, so I sold it!

I eventually found the two that I have currently through the forum here. They are keepers

and I have no plans to sell them!

walked into a guitar centric resale shop. Saw a semi on the wall with a flame maple pg on a semi and had to take a look. felt amazing. Knowing nothing and hearing nothing, i was struck. I played it. That was it. I wanted it. The price was beyond anything I'd have ever considered paying for a guitar, or I'd have taken it home then, completely ignorant of it's pedigree. Based solely on it's merits as a guitar. But I couldn't drop that kind of coin without more info.

An evening of internet research only validated my assessment, and the asking price. After a selling spree, she was mine.

(insert gratuitous guitar shot here) :good_mini:

P1130353-1.jpg

Started playing in late '89. Grew up in a guitar playing household (both father and brother play), didn't get the bug myself until I graduated high school. Had to have a Gibson, because every player I loved played them. A buddy of mine told me about the history of The Heritage after seeing a used one in a guitar shop. Being from Michigan there were always a few to be had around different shops. Never payed much mind to them as I was stuck on the brand name on the headstock. Took me about 15 years to actually try one. Glad I did! Now I think the "G" brand headstock looks funny.

I first heard about them back in the 80's. But then I was a Strat player and didn't care much.

Then a few years ago, I was taking a class at The Old Town School of Folk Music in Chicago with Kidsmoke. He brought in his 535 and we talked about gear for a while. I tried it and really liked it. I did more research. Then I bought a H-170LW here one day. I was hooked. Since then I've bought and sold a few. I regret selling that 170. Hopefully I can get it back one day. But in the meantime I have a great H-155 and a Prospect. So I'm set for a while.

Have/had known about Heritage since Gibson moved to Nashville and the boys set up shop. Didn't really think too much about them, tho'. Until my nephew bought one off the 'bay. H140. Bought my first one, an H157 Custom from Doug at Doug's Tubes.

I went to a small Gibson dealer and made a deal, trading a large caliber handgun (a Desert Eagle chambered for .357 Magnum) for a brand new and very nice Epiphone Les Paul Standard (trans red with a quilted Maple top).

Classic trade.

Hi, My name is Matt and I'm a Heritage user.

While I was aware that Heritage guitars existed going back as far as the 90's, I had always thought that "The Heritage" was in reference to "Gibson Heritage" and that these guitars were probably a special edition Gibson brand or something.

I played acoustically for years before venturing into the electric relm, so my exposer to a wider array of electric manufactures didn't occur until I found work at a recording studio 1n '99. It was there at Rumbo amongst some real deal Gibson aficionados that I learned about the true tale and reputation of Heritage guitars.

It wasn't until 2009 that I even gave Heritage another thought, it came in the form as a surprise wedding gift from my soon to be wife, I was blind sided with the most stunningly beautiful H-535 I'd ever seen……..shortly after that I started lurking around here and have since quite possibly developed an addiction.

40c80ae1-5799-4518-9fdb-04185d429d04_zps

Guest HRB853370

I somehow stumbled upon their website and read the story. My first thought was, geez, this guys are really legit! I moused over to the dealers listed and Wolfe Guitars was the closest to me so I gave him a call, talked about 30 minutes, and hung up with an order placed. He had stock, and he told me what he had, and I really liked the antique vintage cherry sunburst H-150 so that is what I picked out. His price (back in 2000) was $1180 plus $20 to ship to GA. I still have the original receipt in the case. After that, I was totally sold.

As a Heritage owner for a bit over 24 hrs. it's rather presumptious of me to post here....not that it's going to stop me. Nothing terribly original or exciting, but here's how I came to learn of Heritage guitars:

After many years of owning nothing but an old Yamaha acoustic and playing it only very occasionally, I got back into electric instruments in late 2005. As the GAS affliction progressed and I accumulated several instruments, I became active in a couple of guitar-related forums. In one of them, a forum regular came across an older gentleman who was selling off a bunch of equipment, including three H150s and one H157, and he bought all four. He posted photos and raved about how good the guitars were, and gave a little background on the Heritage story. I believe he ended up selling off three of them to cover the cost of the fourth, which he kept for himself. I considered making him an offer for one of them, but didn't for whatever reason....but I did file away that name for the future.

Fast-forward to mid-2012 and another member in that same forum picked up a used H-535 that he gushed about. The photos were gorgeous, and his enthusiasm was contagious. So the Heritage name was further burnished in my mind. That individual happens to be a member here now--kidsmoke, to be specific.

In December, I started thinking about upgrading from the Korean Epiphone Dot that I'd had for a few years to a nicer semi-hollowbody. I was looking at used ES-335's on eBay and resigning myself to the fact that the price of admission for a nice one would be north of $2000. Then I remembered that Heritage made a 335-type, too, so I started looking into those. I was immediately encouraged, because I could get an instrument as good or better than a 335 for about 25% less. I asked kidsmoke's opinion on a couple that I'd seen, and he was very helpful. He also started keeping an eye on went up for sale here. And before long, I heard from him about the stunning cherry red H-555 being offered by MartyGrass. He hooked the two of us up by e-mail, and we made the deal.

The guitar arrived yesterday, and I couldn't be more happy with it. I knew that it looked fabulous, and was thrilled to find that it played and sounded just as good. I've only logged maybe an hour's time on the guitar at this point, but it's enough to have made a Heritage believer out of me.

Gotta post a couple of photos, naturally!

H555_full.jpgH555_body.jpg

Ed Roman's website was my first introduction to Heritage, a number of years ago.

That was back when Ed still liked them and took great pleasure in pointing out how much better they were than Gibson.

Shortly thereafter a used H155 showed up at the 12th Fret in Toronto. (Who, by the way, have a great website for used/vintage stuff.)

I drove down, tried it out, and came away truly impressed.

Did some price research, then went back (in a hurry) and bought it.

Don't have that one any more. Wish I did. Guess I'll just have to suffer along with my H137, H150, and H535. Winners all.

I went into a small music shop in Michigan back in the 1990s, and the old guy had several "H"s in stock.. we were curious, and so I heard the story there.. Saw my first G&L there as well..

My nickname has been 'H' since my teens, I'm now 50. I have played guitar since I was 14, predominantly bass, and made money from that for about five years while being in a few working bands.

As things do, music lapsed while I started a career and a family and I didn't really play much until I was around 40.

Around six years ago, I was looking for a jazz guitar and saw a Heritage H-516 with that fabulous 'H' tailpiece. It was obviously meant to be. Enough said... :)

I first heard about Heritage on local television channel 7 in Detroit. Long time reporter

Eric Smith did a periodic human interest show named From the Heart. He heard about

the fellows from Heritage and did a piece on their story.

I had just taken up guitar late in life about a year before that. I went through a couple

inexpensive guitars before then and had the sore fingers to show for it.

After seeing that piece on Heritage I started researching their models and decided to get

something similar to my latest guitar hero then, BB King. I decided on a H-555 and ordered one

from Elderly and about 7 months later I had my first real guitar. That was 1992. Loved it.

Yes I sold it and have regretted ever since.

Here is a picture of my first love. The love affair continues............... just with some others girls! : )

gallery_139_62_42255.jpg

Guest HRB853370

I wish my grand introduction was as elaborate... But its not.

A few years ago, a co-worker and friend, KBP810, walked past my desk before I really knew him, carrying a Les Paul hardshell case. At the time, I was getting into playing guitar again and wanted to see it. Just a basic LP Studio, but it was a true USA Gibson! The guitar suffered a headstock break sometime after unfortunately. He sold it and bought a rather highly flamed 535. I thought the guitar was over the top with all the flame and finish work. I've never seen anything like it, but it didn't thrill me either. He told me about Heritage guitars and I was somewhat interested. Fast forward a few months, and the two of us would have a guitar jam after work every Friday. He mentioned this forum and how he's friends with a few members, one of which invited us over to his home to jam on some Heritages. I was welcome to try any guitar the gracious homeowner pulled out of his secret stash. I was floored when I picked up his custom H150, with a massive flame top, in a nearly 3D clownburst finish. The fretboard was void of markers, but was made out of slickest, darkest ebony. It felt and sounded perfect to me, and my quest for the perfect Heritage began...

(....My quest is however drawing to an end as I'm looking for what doesn't exist. Sad to say, perhaps the only Heritage I may ever own is my 445. I don't have the money like some do on here to custom order a new guitar. I love reading and hearing the thrill of everyone who discovers a Heritage guitar or finds the next beauty to add to their collection. I enjoy the fellowship here more so than finding the perfect guitar. If I can contribute in other ways beside ownership to the forum, I'm happy. I'll search for used Heritages as often as possible, I'll try as many as I can, and probably buy/sell frequently as trying before I buying is rather difficult. For me, it has to feel and sound right. Then I'll go on looks. So far, I've been putting the cart before the horse with looks before feel. The search continues, but for how much longer? Probably, not much...)

Sorry, didn't mean to highjack the thread.... Let's hear some more awesome stories!

Good story, but you cannot be "that" hard to please...or can you? I bet you still regret letting that re-fin 140 go!

my amp tech told me about them....we were chatting while I dropped off an amp, I asked him about any real nice guitars he'd owned, since he's been fixing amps for years.....he said he once had a Heritage that was an amazing guitar, but he sold it, because he felt he "had" to have a Gibson at the time

then he said it was the stupidest thing he'd ever done & if I ever saw one up here in Canada, give it a good honest assessment before passing it by just because it doesn't say "Gibson" on the headstock :D

a year or so later I saw one for sale....still have it, it's my #1

gallery_672_98_241261.jpg

I first heard about Heritage on local television channel 7 in Detroit. Long time reporter

Eric Smith did a periodic human interest show named From the Heart. He heard about

the fellows from Heritage and did a piece on their story.

I had just taken up guitar late in life about a year before that. I went through a couple

inexpensive guitars before then and had the sore fingers to show for it.

After seeing that piece on Heritage I started researching their models and decided to get

something similar to my latest guitar hero then, BB King. I decided on a H-555 and ordered one

from Elderly and about 7 months later I had my first real guitar. That was 1992. Loved it.

Yes I sold it and have regretted ever since.

Here is a picture of my first love. The love affair continues............... just with some others girls! : )

gallery_139_62_42255.jpg

Damn, that's a beauty!

Archived