Heritage Owners Club

Probably Sound Bad, but looks COOL!

It'd be interesting to know where that speedometer originated.

It reminds me of a 60's VW speedo, in kilometers/hour.

Those were VDO instruments as I recall.

And the red mark at 50 kph is typically German; my current car has this, and another at 130 (a speed 60's VW's were unlikely to attain unless you had it floored going down a very long hill).

And with that carburetor, there's no way that guitar would be neck-heavy. If that's a Solex one-barrel, this is definitely an early VW guitar. The length of the shift lever is about right.

It'd be interesting to know where that speedometer originated.

It reminds me of a 60's VW speedo, in kilometers/hour.

Those were VDO instruments as I recall.

And the red mark at 50 kph is typically German; my current car has this, and another at 130 (a speed 60's VW's were unlikely to attain unless you had it floored going down a very long hill).

And with that carburetor, there's no way that guitar would be neck-heavy. If that's a Solex one-barrel, this is definitely an early VW guitar. The length of the shift lever is about right.

Steering wheel is on the wrong side. We had a 1964 VW on the farm. Speedo was in mph. Went to 90mph I think(the speedo not the car)

520412.jpg

Steering wheel is on the wrong side. We had a 1964 VW on the farm. Speedo was in mph. Went to 90mph I think(the speedo not the car)

520412.jpg

That's the right side in the US. Which is on the left side. Which seems right to me.

• 5 weeks later...

Somebody had to have the towel to clean off the steamed up windshield in the winter. He was called "the Defroster".

Ha! My '69 VW's running boards (heat channels) were so rusted out I didn't dare open the driver's side door for fear of the car collapsing. I entered through the passenger door for three years before bequeathing it to my younger brother.

A towel and ice scraper were standard interior equipment. The wiping down the inside of the windshield was the official greeting between VW Bug drivers as we crossed paths on the road.

Archived