Heritage Owners Club

Heritage H150 & H157...The Kalamazoo Legacy Continues?

Gitfiddler

With the announcement of possible sale of the Kalamazoo based Heritage Guitars, Inc. and new ownership down the road, I started thinking about the legacy guitars built there...then and now. More than any other instrument made there, the Les Paul and H150 style guitars immediately came to my mind.

As most us know, the H150 and H157 were Heritage's take on the Gibson LP Standard and Custom models respectively. The former Gibson employees redesigned and built the new 150/157 models on the same jigs and other machines that previously turned out iconic solid body guitars used by some of our favorite artists.

The LP Standard and Custom were legacy guitars and continue to be built in MANY versions, signature models, historic, etc., etc., etc. But the basic design remains the same as what was built back in the '50's and '60's. Also, the two Heritage solid body, single cut market leaders appear to have gone through mostly evolutionary changes over the years, adjusting to consumer demand and improving quality. There have been special runs and special editions, but the basic guitars have remained. And Heritage's custom shop has continued to allow for limited personal modifications and upgrades. Finally, pricing for Heritage 150/157's have increased over the years, but nowhere near the huge price jumps for comparably made Standards and Customs!

Do you folks see the Heritage 150 and 157 as the continuation of that dusty old factory's legacy, or simply their own thing, getting better with age? What say you?

H150%20VSB.jpgH157%20Ant%20Nat.jpg

The legacy continues! And by jigs and other machines I assume you are also referring to the men and women who make Heritage Guitars. Some of them started building those iconic Guitars at Gibsons in the 50s and continue to create the mostest, bestest, fabest Guitars the world has ever known... or so I've been told.

The prospective buyer has already stated they intend to clean up the place and make it a tourist attraction etc. Another question asked was "Did I think they needed the 30+ models they are currently offering?" I am sure both the 150 and 157s are here to stay.

This Honey of a 150 with Seths just got delivered to me this week. Perfection!
20160307_124317_zpszu4kwg5l.jpg

Do you folks see the Heritage 150 and 157 as the continuation of that dusty old factory's legacy, or simply their own thing, getting better with age? What say you?

Same place, same senior staff, different shaped horn, headstock and name. Stuck in a 1991 frame of mind but that's ok by me.

H150%20VSB.jpgH157%20Ant%20Nat.jpg

I like to think legacy.

It's not a stretch to say that the Les Paul has become the most popular guitar design on the planet.

While slightly modified from the original design our beloved H-150's and H-157's are literally built in the same building using a lot of the same tools materials and building processes that built those early guitars that went on to become so iconic.

The prospective buyer has already stated they intend to clean up the place and make it a tourist attraction etc. Another question asked was "Did I think they needed the 30+ models they are currently offering?" I am sure both the 150 and 157s are here to stay.

This Honey of a 150 with Seths just got delivered to me this week. Perfection!20160307_124317_zpszu4kwg5l.jpg

Archtops are expensive but not built nearly as many are produced as the solid bodies and semi-hollow.

I think some archtops should be eliminated as the H140's.

My reasoning is Archtops are not hot sellers in comparison and the 140 is an intermediate guitar between the 137 and 150 that seems somewhat redundant.

Of course the introduction of a Heritage V.... That would be sweet.

While the 150 might be the most popular guitar that they make, I don't think its their "legacy". Their "signature" gutiars would be the Eagle and Super Eagle, and the Sweet 16.

It seems like the guys at Heritage have a soft spot for the archtop. Its not an easy guitar to make, and you don't see racks of them at Guitar Center. I can't see them discontinuing them. Just look at this year's NAMM show. How many solid body guitars do you see? How many hollow and semi hollow guitars are there?

IMG_20160122_134137_zpst7qdoqcf.jpg

Heritage has 30 models? Never counted before. So, is this now a rumor/thing the new owners want to drop some models? Makes me wonder if the "tourist attraction" will be to see Heritage or the old Gibs plant.

Their 535/555 is the best selling platform. Followed closely by the the 150/157 models.

Hard to say what the new owners are going to do but I see some reduction in models and

maybe some new lines. I hope!

Heritage has 30 models? Never counted before. So, is this now a rumor/thing the new owners want to drop some models? Makes me wonder if the "tourist attraction" will be to see Heritage or the old Gibs plant.

The longterm plan is a restaurant and a museum.....and a functioning guitar company.

Archie owns the entire building which he/we consider historic... Alot of the machinery etc is very old and a lot of "The Heritage" is the past pre Heritage.

As far as models, I am sure some are NOT built with much regularity and would not be missed too much. There is already an entire list of past models....

A bit of both.

Exactly.

I probably sounded a bit cynical.

Im not a future buyer of new Heritage Guitars regardless of who makes them. Its not because I dont like them, I love them. I just have all I will ever need.

Im hoping for a speedy sale and smooth transition not a long drawn out drama ridden process for the current owners.

Archie owns the entire building which he/we consider historic... Alot of the machinery etc is very old and a lot of "The Heritage" is the past pre Heritage.

As far as models, I am sure some are NOT built with much regularity and would not be missed too much. There is already an entire list of past models....

Guy, all very common knowledge, except for maybe the Archie thing. Never knew the name of the building owner. Still would like to hear what they think of as "historic" enough to create a tourist attraction. Even some of the best proponents of Heritage can't help but mention "it's the old Gibson factory". Which basically becomes a qualifier to the discussion. Personally, I think it's time that was dropped. It's been the Heritage factory for ... how many years now - 32/+?

Guess when the new bosses take over it's their company to do with as they please. And yeah, there are some models that altho' nice guitars, probably don't rate a whole production line. Like the ...... huh, can't even recall the name. It's the most recent double cut. Would be interesting to see the sales numbers (qty) on that model. Only seen two in the wild.

This Honey of a 150 with Seths just got delivered to me this week. Perfection!

20160307_124317_zpszu4kwg5l.jpg

Coming back to this a little too often. Not usually a healthy sign.... Jeeze Louise!

I will get you photos of the finished product!

Yeah, what's the what-what with that one anyway? Is that a customer order or one just for yourself? I kind of hope it's spoken for, because I've got credit card in my pocket that's starting to get a little warm! ;)

Well I suppose it was a good run. If these things come to fruition, I doubt I'll have much of any interest in the "New" Heritage. Seems kind of cheesy to me.

Some times in life, good stuff happens. Back in the 1983 if you read this... CLOSING KALAMAZOO In July 1983 Gibson president Marty Locke informed Jim Deurloo that the Kalamazoo plant would close. The last production at ...

My point is have some faith.

Archived