Heritage Owners Club

My Very First Heritage Guitar was a...? Show & Tell!

Gitfiddler

By now you folks know I like 'show & tell' threads about Heritage guitars. Now's your chance to show us your first Heritage and tell us a little about it.

I'll start...

My very first Heritage guitar was a beautiful almond sun burst Sweet 16. I spotted her on Ebay and fell head over heels for her. She's gone now, but not forgotten.

gallery_8_136_1325757.jpggallery_8_136_97125.jpg

OK...Your turn. What was YOUR first Heritage guitar? :dontknow:

In late 2002, I started looking at something to celebrate my impending leap into the "50s". A friend from high school has a guitar store locally and one of the brands he carries is Heritage. I tried a few and decided to go for the 157, almond burst. No fancy HRWs or anything. I had never had a LP style guitar. I didn't know anything about customizing guitars, didn't know anything about how much Heritage would work with someone.

A couple of months before I hit the magic five oh, this baby arrived at the shop. Twelve years later and I've still got it, along with several siblings.

gallery_790_192_101737.jpg

IMG_0017-1.jpg

My first Heritage was a used H-150 that I bought in the early 1990's after playing one owned by a friend. It's gone now so I'm picturing the first new Heritage that I purchased. It's a 1996 H-150 that I bought from Elderly Instruments. I'm not sure if they're still a dealer but they were then.

My very first Heritage guitar was a first-edition H-137DD named "The Hornet" (at least that's what is engraved in the TRC). The original bridge pup was replaced by some SD metal thing, but otherwise stock. I still have it, and it's the only Heritage in my possession.
gallery_3_1_2850696.jpg

My first Heritage was also my first electric guitar. a 'V' vintage Millennium Std Ultra that I still own.

'05 Millennium Ultra Standard

'05 Millennium Ultra Standard

I happened to be at Elderly Instrument in Lansing a few days after Xmas in 2009 when I heard another customer playing it through a vintage Fender twin or DR. It had a beautiful creamy tone and I was hooked.
And Golferwave, Elderly is still in business. I was there just last Friday.

My first Heritage was also my first electric guitar. a 'V' vintage Millennium Std Ultra that I still own.

I happened to be at Elderly Instrument in Lansing a few days after Xmas in 2009 when I heard another customer playing it through a vintage Fender twin or DR. It had a beautiful creamy tone and I was hooked.

And Golferwave, Elderly is still in business. I was there just last Friday.

Yes! It sounds great paired with a DR!

My first Heritage was an '09 H-535 with Seth's.

My wife bought me that guitar for a wedding present. Interestingly enough I wasn't even in the market for an electric guitar as I was mainly playing acoustic at the time. A few weeks earlier we had gone to see John Mayer and while he was playing a vintage cherry red 335, I made a quick mention to her that if I were to buy an electric guitar it would be that one right there.

Soon after the show she must have started calling around looking for a 335.......sticker shock stopped that search in its tracks. Luckily for me, a co-worker of hers who plays guitar asked her if I had ever considered a Heritage.

One night over dinner she asked me if I knew about Heritage Guitars in Kalamazoo. Puzzled I told her yes, in fact my Uncle had owned a business that operated inside the 225 building through out the eighties and nineties. I had kind of forgotten about Heritage at that point. When I was young we would visit my uncles shop occasionally going downstairs to check out the guitars and talk with "the fellas". Those visits probably occurred between 1988-92.

She was happy that I knew of them and even happier that I already had a vague connection with the brand. She excitedly walked into the other room and came back with the case in hand. I remembered the logo painted on the case instantly. Man am I glad she bought that guitar! It's perfect in every way. It's just so much more than a guitar to me.

Now I have a bunch of Heritage Guitars and am lucky to call a few of those "fellas" my friend.

Funny how things work out in life.

IMAG0828_zps6xtgyjdm.jpg

great stories....

great guitars!!

my amp tech turned me on to Heritage: said he owned one once, and then sold it because he "had" to have a Gibson.

He said he'd regretted that decision ever since, and if I ever saw one around, to grab it

well I did, and I did.....

'94 H150:

H150smaller.jpg

great stories....

great guitars!!

my amp tech turned me on to Heritage: said he owned one once, and then sold it because he "had" to have a Gibson.

He said he'd regretted that decision ever since, and if I ever saw one around, to grab it

well I did, and I did.....

'94 H150:

H150smaller.jpg

Lots of mojo on that pic! Even the plastic appears well aged.

Here is my first Heritage. Johnny Smith Sunburst - G07502 - October 17th 1990, a Wednesday. It was the 2nd guitar built that day.

I had wanted a Johnny Smith since Gibsons came out with their version in 1961. I found this one at a small guitar shop in Island Lake Illinois, Island Music. It must have been 1991.
They had 2 Johnny Smiths and 2 Gary Moore H150s. The other Johnny Smith had a natural finish and had already been sold. I found that natural finish Johnny Smith at a guitar dealer in Boston last May 2014 and I bought it.

I took the Sunburst JS to the factory in the summer of 1991 and had it adjusted by Mr. Ren Wall and had everyone sign my copy of “The Gibson Super 400”. While at the factory I met Wild Bill Durkin, a Heritage endorsee, and he gave me a tour of the factory.

Johnny_Smith_01_v01_LR_zpshx8kslvh.jpg

1992 H-555 ordered from Elderly in Lansing MI

Ordered originally without DVIP.

I pulled a dumba$$ move and knocked it of the stand.

Came up with a small crack by the heel.

Took it back to Heritage and they repaired it beautifully.

While it was there I had them install the DVIP system. It already had HRWs.

The beginning of a Great Relationship with Heritage and all you knuckle heads! :icon_joker:

gallery_139_62_42255.jpg

Archived