Heritage Owners Club

NAMM Updates - More changes in the Heritage product line and pricing... Updates

Millennium Maestro

Are they ever going to list some MSRP's in a free catalog or post publicly like they do at the Gibson web site?

An Excellent question! I would like MSRP's public and in your face so buyers know the type of discount they are receiving,

On a side note I ran into a Dealer in the South US that claimed they cannot even sell a Heritage at MAP in his region... And another from the West coast that claimed to never go near MAP pricing. Because after all we all discount off the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Pricing

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

An Excellent question! I would like MSRP's public and in your face so buyers know the type of discount they are receiving,

On a side note I ran into a Dealer in the South US that claimed they cannot even sell a Heritage at MAP in his region... And another from the West coast that claimed to never go near MAP pricing. Because after all we all discount off the Manufacturers Suggested Retail Pricing

In my past, I've worked in retail for more years than I can count and I am intimately familiar with how things work. For me personally, all I need to know is MSRP and then I can do all the rest of the math that I may ever want to know. So, the next time you see the fellas at Heritage, maybe you could ask them directly about publishing MSRP somewhere that is easy to get to. That would be great!

I love the HOC

and this thread is part and parcel of why

my comments

I feel the repricing was overdue

the guitars will remain a value proposition

The attention to the Millie is a very good thing

I'm happy to still see the pointy pickguards

Leave it to Heritage to inspire more headstock comments

put a straight edge across the lower bout of the left and right blue H150's in the picture - the tiny OSB H150 is an optical illusion

My support of the company will come from not selling any of my existing collection, always choosing a Heritage when I play in public and doing my best to save for a custom build

Pete Farmer has it going on

No need to apologize Guy, you are well vested in the brand in many ways.

I wish them the best. We all love Heritage guitars, anything that keeps them going is fine with me.

And, plus + on pricing. To produce and market a quality guitar in the US is not an inexpensive endeavor. Has anyone priced a CS Gibson lately? Not that I am comparing them in terms of quality or attention to detail etc.

I'm out of the loop, had to search for info on Pete Farmer, evidently Pete has some great associations:

http://www.petefarmerguitarworks.com/gallery.html

New Headstock "Circle H" = fail. Yuck.

Price increase = cataclysmic fail.

(Price was what Heritage had going for it. If they raise the prices, they will lose market share. And then they will be no more).

I'm confident that Heritage will be just fine even though it's very hard to please every Tom, DICK and Harry out there!

Win, Lose or Draw, I will continue to appreciate and cherish all of my Heritage Guitars past, present and future.

Well said, Guy. I would agree that for years, many of us Heritage fans were at the forefront of one of the best custom guitar bargains in the industry.

I'm glad I was one of those able to take advantage of a moment when Heritage guitars were an exceptional bargain. I agree that the new pricing is reasonable compared to other manufacturers, and I applaud the fact that the new owners are not trying to cut costs at workers' expense and that they are engaged in reviving not just a brand but a culturally and historically significant site --and esp. if it is in a neighborhood that needs reviving.

I think my previous post missed the tone I was trying to capture. It was intended to be a tear-in-my-beer post: I've never paid 3 g's for a guitar, and have rarely purchased new guitars except under exceptional circumstances, and, if there was ever a chance of that happening with a new Heritage, that chance is gone, less because Heritage has made a reasonable decision to move away from unsustainable pricing than because I'm ten years or less from retirement in a job that means neither pays well or provides more than the most token of matching retirement pay. On my income, trying to squeeze the last penny of tax advantage from SRA's and IRA's, and 3g new guitars, are not compatible goals, and esp. given how much money I already have wrapped up in guitars. Any high-end guitar manufacturer needs to target a potential market that can afford a reasonable price for its products. It's just a truth that, to paraphrase Dylan, it ain't me they're looking for.

But, as others have said, I love my Heritage guitars, have played them out, and talked them up, for years, and will continue to do so. I hope eventually to have a chance to visit the place and drink a good locally-crafted IPA in tribute to the long history of guitar-making there. (I can still afford a good IPA every now and then.)

On a side note I think to grasp the concept of the H logo headstock you have to see it in person I was a little hesitant at first but I dig it after seeing at hands on and from 20 feet away.

After all it's all about exposing the product and it does catch her eye!

Sort of in the same vein, that was the prevailing thought on Prospects around here for a long time, as well. Until people saw them. And played them.

In my past, I've worked in retail for more years than I can count and I am intimately familiar with how things work. For me personally, all I need to know is MSRP and then I can do all the rest of the math that I may ever want to know. So, the next time you see the fellas at Heritage, maybe you could ask them directly about publishing MSRP somewhere that is easy to get to. That would be great!

The tri-fold catalog that Heritage put out a few years ago, which I still have a few lying around, had MRSP under each model.....

Sorry man, (everyone)... I got to NAMM for really only Heritage and potential vendors I May work with.... 95% of the convention is stuff I have zero interest in.

So I apologize for only sharing Heritage!

Oh, I'm fine with only Heritage stuff, Guy. I just want more of it. Can't have enough H pictures!

The Heritage booth at NAMM this year was great! Perfect location and well thought out with great players showcasing some amazing guitars. Heritage threw an invite only party at Ruth Chris steak house with dealers and distributors attending. The party was packed and the attitude of all there was that Heritage is doing things right. Live music, good food and lots of fun! I have visited Heritage quite a bit over the years and you can feel the change in the air at Heritage and at NAMM. They are clearly aware of the importance of proper marketing now and are doing that very well. And maybe most importantly there is a real enthusiasm by the people at Heritage about what they are doing. That enthusiasm I'm sure rubbed off on anyone visiting the Heritage booth.

Having looked at all the guitars on offer at NAMM I believe a Heritage is an amazing guitar compared to anything on offer and the prices are well within reason. The reality is they have been under valued for years IMHO. And a new reality for all guitar makers announced at NAMM is that all rosewood will now require SITES certification no matter where it comes from. This is going to drive prices up for both new and used guitars with rosewood in them.

Enjoy the Heritage guitars you have and realize their value will go up. And when you want a new guitar, Heritage will be there with some great models to choose from. Quality at the level that Heritage is offering comes at a price and IMHO that quality is quite reasonably priced.

IMG_0036_zpsguoaqmrj.jpg

The Heritage booth at NAMM this year was great! Perfect location and well thought out with great players showcasing some amazing guitars. Heritage threw an invite only party at Ruth Chris steak house with dealers and distributors attending. The party was packed and the attitude of all there was that Heritage is doing things right. Live music, good food and lots of fun! I have visited Heritage quite a bit over the years and you can feel the change in the air at Heritage and at NAMM. They are clearly aware of the importance of proper marketing now and are doing that very well. And maybe most importantly there is a real enthusiasm by the people at Heritage about what they are doing. That enthusiasm I'm sure rubbed off on anyone visiting the Heritage booth.

Having looked at all the guitars on offer at NAMM I believe a Heritage is an amazing guitar compared to anything on offer and the prices are well within reason. The reality is they have been under valued for years IMHO. And a new reality for all guitar makers announced at NAMM is that all rosewood will now require SITES certification no matter where it comes from. This is going to drive prices up for both new and used guitars with rosewood in them.

Enjoy the Heritage guitars you have and realize their value will go up. And when you want a new guitar, Heritage will be there with some great models to choose from. Quality at the level that Heritage is offering comes at a price and IMHO that quality is quite reasonably priced.

IMG_0036_zpsguoaqmrj.jpg

Excellent post Jon. Long live Heritage and ThroBak!

Re- Logo on headstock- I appreciate Breedlove's new improved logo, which runs horizontally and can be read when the axe is being played. The new circle H, and the old logo are often covered by those bulky clamp on tuners and you can't read them Well played Breedlove.

or, "nice Les Paul, but you know what comes after G...."

or

new%20h%20logo_zpsyxcjbovy.png ...when it's time for what comes next

H=HANDMADE

y

Still no Maple top Parson Street models, eh?

I say bring back a variant of the H-120. Make it a Maple Neck, Ash/Alder Body, single pickup, wrap around tailpiece. Or use whatever sustainable woods are available such as Cherry or Pine.

Give us something a bit affordable.

I think in the coming years there should be a "budget" line. Bring back some of the things that made the non-historic guitars equally great. There's a lot myth out there perpetrated by folks in the business of moving vintage guitars and building new reissues.

If Heritage built a SUSTAINABLE guitar with some attributes you'd find in my '72 Custom and "Black Beauty" into the H-137 (& 137DC) without the frills (binding, big inlays, etc) the guitar would be amazing. Add 3 Piece mahogany neck, shallower headstock angle, volute with a thinner headstock profile, sandwich body w/multi-piece maple top, dense wood, dense/strong bridge & tailpiece, baked maple board or richlite with beveled ends (add some comfort), tiny frets as an option leveled down but with some girth in the neck, neck angle that keeps the strings closer to the wood, a slightly more petite fretboard/neck width (not the profile, actual neck width at nut & 12th fret) and offer pickup/bridge upgrades at different price points. Make them at two scale lengths, 24.75" and 25.5" CNC the rough cuts, grain fill the right way but apply a very thin finish, then because the guitar will be such a different animal call it "Heritage Direct" and sell them from the website. That way, people can get the old school higher priced guitars from Custom through the dealers but those on a budget can get a amazing but very different guitars at price points similar to other domestic builders.

There's a lot to be said about adding rigidity to a guitar in an intelligent way, makes the counter tension less reliant on truss rod compression first & foremost, no different than a quartersawn blank w/quartersawn board. You most certainly can build sustainable guitars that sound just as good, if not better, than more traditional builds.

If you don't believe me get your hands on a good Norlin LP or SG custom, a Yamaha SG 1000/2000 or Ibanez artist (early 80's late 70's), or even if you're really luck we had a collection of vintage "THC" (Tom Holmes Company) guitars at the vintage shop where I used to teach. They're more often than not amazing instruments, they're also more sustainable to boot.

Archived