Heritage Owners Club

Incoming H-555

MartyGrass

Mark, that stinger is way cool!

13 hours ago, Gitfiddler said:

Awesome H555! 

Did Heritage also build one of these for Vince Margol?

Maybe.  This one has a placque on the case saying it belongs to Vince Lewis.  It's a heavy case, not the usual TKL.  I think the label says that, but I don't recall.  This will be my second Vince Lewis Heritage.

I haven't thought of Vince Margol in a long time.  He was kind of the normal person stuck in a strange world of personal dynamics.  I liked him.

He's a tax attorney.  I know what you're thinking- Trump needs help!  Vince is not a high profile guy.  https://www.margol-law.com/

7 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

Maybe.  This one has a placque on the case saying it belongs to Vince Lewis.  It's a heavy case, not the usual TKL.  I think the label says that, but I don't recall.  This will be my second Vince Lewis Heritage.

I haven't thought of Vince Margol in a long time.  He was kind of the normal person stuck in a strange world of personal dynamics.  I liked him.

He's a tax attorney.  I know what you're thinking- Trump needs help!  Vince is not a high profile guy.  https://www.margol-law.com/

Owning two Heritage custom builds for Vince Lewis is awesome!  What a great musician and early fan of old school Heritage.

Vince Margol took a chance on saving Heritage by investing in and helping breathe new life into the business end of the then, struggling company.  He and I spoke a couple of times by phone about his plans for Heritage, as well as a finish issue I had with my H535 goldtop.  He agreed to have it refinished...at no cost to me!  I greatly respected his risk taking with Heritage during their 'golden age'.

• Like 2

The guitar arrived yesterday.  Shipping went from California to Michigan, but timing was right to avoid great temperature changes.

The packing was excellent.  It came in a large Reverb box.

I owned this guitar once upon a time.  I forgot how 3D the figuring is and how it really pops out.  I also like how the maple back and neck are the same color.  The mahogany color shift on a natural maple body is fine on other guitars.  But the white (now yellowing) continuity from top to bottom is appealing.

The action is ridiculously low without buzzing.

Let's shift to shipping.  This was $190 UPS ground.  The UPS man told me how costs are going up.  I'm sure part of it, probably a large part, is due to personnel.  Another component is the cost of diesel.  One barrel of crude oil only produces about 11-12 gallons of diesel, compared to 19-20 gallons of gasoline.  Insurance costs may also be higher.

I have a similar vintage H-555 that shows what Floyd Newton could do to create a tri-burst.  The transitions in coloring and the symmetry are an artist's work.

My observations over the years are that the old Heritage was very flexible in custom makes.  Sometimes the quality was uneven, but usually they were great.  Today there is more consistency in good quality but less flexibility in design.  Yes, you can get custom builds but not so whimsically anymore.  And guitars are expensive.

50465121682_ae508fb7da_c.jpg

50465121582_9c7be4d80e_c.jpg

50963971437_fcb3ae483e_c.jpg

50464963831_baac4653ec_c.jpg

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The burst is nice, but I would rather have the one in "au naturale" anyday.    Before I got my S-100 back in the early 70s,  I was trying to figure out how to buy a Guild Starfire IV in natural.  It was a great playing guitar.  Then one day I walked into Tiller's music and it was GONE!   My heart sunk.

haven't seen any requests for dibs, but...  

why not?

:)

Honestly , boys and girls, that is the best semi I ever heard (played). Only reason for selling back to Mark is my own advancing decrepitude   🙂