Heritage Owners Club

Incoming- something different

MartyGrass

Heritage makes a lot of custom guitars. This one is unique. It was in a shop near my daughter's house, too.

This guitar was built for Toty Viola, a renowned jazz player and a Heritage endorsing artist. It has a 25.5" scale, ebony board, 21 frets, a mahogany neck, laminated top and back, 3" depth, and Lollartron pups. It has lots of binding work and a mahogany pickguard. It is loosely based on the H530.

Toty got it late 2012 and gigged with it until recently. He has switched to a smaller body guitar, specifically a Ritenour L5, for comfort.

Toty is a highly respected and busy jazz player. So when I saw the guitar I had several questions, all variants of WTF?

Why those pups?

Why the mahogany neck?

Why that tailpiece?

What I've learned is that he really likes the sound of the pups with flat wounds. The tailpiece is lighter than the other option, which is the finger TP. I don't know why the mahogany neck, but why not?

http://www.lollarguitars.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=LGP&Product_Code=272&Category_Code=humbucker-pickups

Here's him performing with the guitar. You can get a rough idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEgaUJRma1Y

The guitar was set up by the magician Mike Koontz. I'm told it is perfect.

Toty is a good friend of George Benson. He has a picture of George with the guitar that I hope to get a copy of.

Here are the pix.

2_zpsceb9e146.jpg

7_zpsd85a9749.jpg5_zps20b668cb.jpg4_zps3c471aa7.jpg1_zps88dc9860.jpg7_zpsd85a9749.jpg3_zps859170b0.jpg

Very nice. I like the options he picked. Dibs if you don't bond with it!

I'm interested in a tone report on those pickups.

It was on eBay but I've known about it for a while now. It was taken in on trade a few months ago by a Michigan store.

Sometimes after having something up for sale a while, the seller gets a more realistic sense of the market.

There was some discussion about it a while ago. It was called a 3" H530. But of course there are a lot of things not H530 about it. The body is basically a 530 with a 3" depth and routing for humbuckers, multilayered binding, and bound f holes. The headstock is larger.

10_zps45487105.jpg

Marty~ I listened to the YouTube clips of Toty Viola. He is a wonderful player, similar to Benson. Toty even scats like GB!

And his (I assume) brother, Michele is also no slouch on guitar.

Another amazing Heritage artist/endorsee.

I'd just looked at that guitar on Reverb earlier and while reading the spec'd 3" depth I thought it must have been a typo, but there was no side profile shot to verify. I dug the bound headstock, shading and fretboard.....this should be fun! Congrats....nice to see you're still buying guitars after the GBJS :)

Archived