Heritage Owners Club

Amp Gas-X.... Opinions?

yoslate

Odd.... Almost feel like a stranger here, though I've been posting a bit the last couple of days. I know how much we all like to aid and abet gas, so here's your chance. New band (The Luxuriant Sedans) is getting out live, and I like what's evolving. After years of cultivating my clean(ish) blues/jazz tone, I find myself in an unrepentent Rock & Roll band. We're doing (our own arrangements of) tunes by The Faces, Albert Collins, Paul Butterfield, John Hiatt, Webb Wilder, Ronnie Wood, Walter Trout, Robben Ford, etc. I've posted a couple of tunes here recently (I think). Been chasing a kind of Plexi-Dumbley punchy tone, but need to clean right up when I get off the gas, at higher volumes than those at which I've played in quite a while (been listening to a lot of Doyle Bramhall II).

I'm using the Nash Paul, with Throbaks; the 535; and the Nash Strat for some Hendrix-y stuff. Using a Wampler Euphoria, Port City clean boost, Carbon Copy, TC Hall of Fame, FullTone Deja Vibe, and a FullTone non-mosfet Full Drive. Been going through my Bitar 22W 6L6 combo with a 1x12 cab. Have a little dough to burn, and have been looking into potential heads with a little more beef and vinegar, in the 30 W +/- neighborhood. Be happy to have any opinions. Thanks! Here's the short list:

- Bogner Barcelona

- Marshall 2061X

- Fuchs Blackjack 21

- Suhr Badger 30

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey stranger. Yeh, I kinda recall you hanging around here before... good to 'see' you again, Bob.

Glad you're liking the new project. Sounds great from what you've shared. Would like to hear/see more. And that you're ROCKIN' out at volume is way cool (and fun I bet).

Reading the thread title and thought 'oh, got some flub in the mod'd DRRI'... but no. Much more interesting topic. You've done some research looks like. I've not played, nor do I think heard or know anyone who has any of those amps. Probably not a bad amp in the bunch given the names. But... I've got nuttin', no real experience on any of em. Gee, it's too bad you don't have any, you know, 'choice' guitars to play thru 'em, tho... :rolleyes:

Have fun with the chase!

I say find a used TopHat Club Royale, reasonable size, works well with the Fulldrive on your pedal board. It's a little louder than it's wattage suggests, so that it will stay semi clean at volume, and it will give you the British lead tone you need, be it the Marshall, or Vox flavor. A thirty watter might give up the good clean stuff, but it is going to be louder than most clubs will allow if you want true British output tube distortion tone, which you won't get from some amp being attenuated down. The Club Royale has a Master volume but really it is a very subtle one.

I am with Daniel on this one, I like the idea of the Top Hat Royal.

My question for you Rob, is "Do you really know what you want?" What is a Plexi-Dumble? A Plexi and a Dumble are polar opposites. The Plexi is the epitome of the "British El34 tone; brighter, grittier. The Dumble is all "American" 6L6/5881 tone: big mids, and smooth.

So I guess I don't know what tone you are looking for. But I can offer this, almost all the artist you mentioned recorded/perform with an "American" toned voice. FWIW, I am finding with our "new" contemporary sounding praise band that I have to cover a lot more ground than before. From funky rhythm to big heavy OD choruses to thick smooth OD solos..... And there is not a tone that I can't get with a vintage Fender amp and 4 completely different OD pedals. Honestly, I think you have the amps covered..... Get a Ethos Overdrive pedal and your Dumble-to-all American tones will be covered.

I use my Ethos OD pedal about 75% of the time when I use OD (and it has a great clean channel too!!!!)

Hey stranger. Yeh, I kinda recall you hanging around here before... good to 'see' you again, Bob.

He's Ralph, not Bob.

Go Bogner, Mark Sampson and / or Mike Soldano. Then you can Rock that Eagle!

Maybe a Heritage Patriot?

As long as we are all over the map here, why not go snotty with your 5E3 and use an ABY box to get back to your clean 6L6 Bitar? Not 30 watts, of course, and would require two amps, but you could keep that dough you are itchin' to spend.

As long as we are all over the map here, why not go snotty with your 5E3 and use an ABY box to get back to your clean 6L6 Bitar? Not 30 watts, of course, and would require two amps, but you could keep that dough you are itchin' to spend.

He still won't have the Marshall sound covered.

that sounds like good material to play, looking forward to hearing the recordings

Kilgore Trout!!

Breakfast of Champions....

I'm in a phase where I'm happy with my amp, kind of turning a blind eye to all the stuff out there. but I think any 30w Fender would do the trick

I've always lusted after a Louis Electric combo of some sort though...bluesbreaker or tweed. looks like he's got a bunch of stuff now:

http://www.louiselectricamps.com/

Personally, I think its less about amp wattage and more about speaker counts. If you were to use that same amp on a 2x12 or a 4x12 you'd be amazed how much more volume you get. Just my opinion, the last time I played out, I used a tiny Peavey Valveking Microhead 20watt tube amp on a Marshall 4x12. My band said it was the loudest and best tones I've ever played. Can you just add a speaker cabinet to what you already have?

Well...this is fun. Thanks for the replies and info, fellas. I'll chase all of it, online, to start. I threw this out more to pull a little focus than for any other reason. John knows me too well: "Do you really know what you want?" Clearly not, which is why I started this. I am contemplating a new piece, but don't know what I want. That's a bad place to be when one's tempted to open up the wallet. Daniel, as always, is on it. I love Top Hat amps! Often regret getting rid of the one I had, but what I want is a 30W +/- head. Getting lazy in my old age (and with a fickle back) and much prefer two or three easy strolls to the car over wrestling even a 45lb. combo...let alone a 4x12, or even a 2x12 cab. Been there; done that. The Mesa is a nice package, and I like the cleans, but I never liked their driven tone. Too..."inorganic" ("inorganic" is awfully subjective, I know. It's a quality I find in spades in Top Hat amps). Watched the whole Carvin demo. Just too much box. And Lyle, yes, "...ting a ling." John, what I was referencing with the Plexi-Dumble, I should have clarified. I love the big, punchy, tight cleans of the Marshall, but I also want to have access to the heavy, round, smooth sustain of the Dumble. Listen to any Doyle Bramhall II, and you'll hear him go back and forth with exactly what I'm talking about. But...I don't want to peel paint. Brian...hilarious...or maybe just prescient. I've done exactly what you suggest, and to good effect, but the amps, pedals, and a-b-y, all the power cords, cables, and plugging are kind of a pain. And it's amazing how little room I usually have for my "footprint." So thanks again, boys! Donning my jodhpurs and pith helmet, to return to the quest.... I'll keep you posted.

I won't pretend to have the frame of reference that most of you do, but on points I can relate to, a) wanting all options all the time, B) never having lots of time or lots of sq feet c) familiarity with boogie tones and bramhall d) lack of tolerance for items weighing over 40# being schlepped in and out of cars bars and multiple flights of stairs...

Recently got my old 20 watt mesa boogie combo in top working order and found that, while it does go into the sizzly processed gainy areas I have little need for, with aplomb, it does give a throatier crunchier tone at the very low reaches of the gain knob on the lead channel (my amp tech, an old timer and Illinois first boogie certified service tech way back in the day, says this combo was a bit of an abomination at the time and was was a blip in the evolutionary chain that has become the express series, a blip he feels was a masterstroke - "don't ever sell it unless its to me") its a usable channel when sizzly tones are called for (think Ernie Isleys blistering solo on summer breeze), but the cleans, with something like your new Klone OD in front of it do a great job(thanks for pointing that out Daniel) As a result, when combined with the amp foot switch, I've got great clean, creamy drive and searing drive, with out a big footprint, a ton of pedals, or more boxes than I want, just a 1x12 combo. And its ridiculously loud.

Just my experience, that's working at the moment.

One more thing to add... I love the thick cleans of my my Marshall DSL40C. Its loud, real Marshall EL34 tones. Also remember that Marshall was originally based upon a Bassman, so its only fair to think of the clean tones being thick, not chimy. Its just an idea. But all these choices you have that were brought to the table by others, I can see that weight of the amp is a big deal to you. I honestly don't think 1x12 cabinets do higher wattage amps any justice. There is something about the sound of a 4x12 or even a 2x12 that is just remarkable. My Jet City 2x12 weighs much less than most 1x12 tube amp combos too. So don't dismiss that option.

Well, this solo was using an 80 watt Bogner Shiva head through a 1x12 ported closed back cab a few PSPs ago. Also Larry Carlton runs his 100w Dumble Overdrive Special through a 1x12 cab. So I definitely would not dismiss a GOOD (not a cheapie) 1x12 cab.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PG5jzgSQBw0

Rob~ This! If you ever find one, buy it. You will thank me later.

libertytweed_06.gif

post-8-0-84105000-1423759651_thumb.jpg

From the Heritage Amplification catalog: "This is our version of a classic vintage tweed amp, with a 3 knob reverb circuit. The Liberty is available in a head and cabinet format, or as a 2x12 or 1x15 combo. The Liberty produces 45 watts from a pair of 6L6's. The amp features Normal and Bright channels, which are internally jumpered. The tones from the amp are perfect for styles ranging from blues, country, jazz and classic rock."

The DB II reference... haven't had his 'Welcome' release out in quite a while. Will need to dig that out and give it a listen.

Don't know if it's the sound in your head, but he uses (or did) a Savage Blitz 50 amp. There's another kinda well known picker down your way that uses them, too. The shop is near me (Savage, MN), good bunch of guys. Jeff the owner is a drummer. Russ 'the amp guy' is a fine guitar picker and who I bring my amps to when they need care (they've a great collection of vintage amps as well). Premium priced, which is one reason I don't (yet) own one. I really like their Mach12 combo for what I'm doing - it's just luscious good/rich voiced. They've a Glas 30 that may fit in your wheelhouse...

Anyway, lemme know if you've any questions/interest in any of 'em. They'd be happy to talk to ya, I'm sure. They're always saying 'take that one home for the weekend, see what ya think'... of course it's a great sales technique as you don't wanna return it. Actually, they just moved locations so I gotta go check out the new shop anyway.

Or better yet, just come up and visit, take some for a spin. It's right near 0 today so nice round number. Might need to pack a sweatshirt and socks.

http://www.savageamps.com/

I hate to sound like a one note Charlie (no, I don't), but a Guytron GT100 will get you the Marshall, Vox, Blackface, Silverface, tones you want at any volume. And there happens to be a used one for sale at Guitar Center right now for $1,199 ( a steal for an amp that sold new for more than $3,000).

Gregor Hilden & LP

Gregor HIlden & SRV Strat

Kaliedescope of tones -guy plays while his recording engineer fiddles with the controls.

Jon Herrington describes his Guytron @17:25

Gotta add some to the topic.

East amps, Budda, Soldano. Also the Fuch's Blackjack 21 is a great choice for the tone your looking for. Be sure to choose your speakers wisely for the varied sounds your hearing in your head!

I'm a little late to the party here, but I think this is a perfect opportunity for a road trip to Durham. Hop in the car around 10, take a nice hour drive, grab a sandwich at Pipers Deli and head over to Soundpure with the Nash in hand. Should be good for about 2-3 hours, which would get you home by 5, just in time for dinner.

:iroc:

I'm a little late to the party here, but I think this is a perfect opportunity for a road trip to Durham. Hop in the car around 10, take a nice hour drive, grab a sandwich at Pipers Deli and head over to Soundpure with the Nash in hand. Should be good for about 2-3 hours, which would get you home by 5, just in time for dinner.

:iroc:

Brilliant! Ya kow, Rich, it's nearly criminal (read embarrassing!), but I've never been there. Know all about it; been to the website forever, but I've just never made the trip.

Tim: Oh, yeah! I've looked, and I'll certainly keep my eyes open, but seems like that might be a passenger pigeon.

Bluenote: Those sound just marvelous, but, again, too much box. I'm looking for a smaller package, and I don't need anywhere near 100W.

RSquared: Good point. I have access to dozens of speakers (and a stash of vintage tubes) which I can audition amps through...and will!

Again, fellas, thanks for making this thread an eye-opener.

Archived