Heritage Owners Club

H-530 Pickguard. Can't decide.

skydog52

I ordered this from MojoAxe and the fit is excellent. The hardware they sent is Gibson 330 type.

Opinions welcomed. The purist makes me want to keep it off. 

IMG_6332.jpg

IMG_6331.jpg

Edited by skydog52
  • Like 1

• skydog52 changed the title to H-530 Pickguard. Can't decide.

If you want to play it and have it look like it was played, take it off. Scratches add character. 

I generally don't care for the Gibson pickguards.  They just look so big and overdone.   They don't follow the lines of the guitar the way that Heritage had done with their 535 and 150 style guards.   If it was 25% smaller, it would be fine and still perform the function.  I also prefer the wooden guards.   A touch of wood grain showing through is classy and they don't generate static like many plastic ones do.

For me, its one of the things that Heritage REALLY got right.

• Like 2

If it's a killer figured ultra top, then I sway towards no pickguard; show off as much of that woody goodness that you can. Plain top or more subtle figuring, it's a toss up. 

In this case, even despite all the dribble I just said; I think it looks better with it on. 

On 6/1/2023 at 9:22 AM, TalismanRich said:

.... I also prefer the wooden guards.   A touch of wood grain showing through is classy and they don't generate static like many plastic ones do.

For me, its one of the things that Heritage REALLY got right.

Amen, brother!

• Upvote 1

I put my money where my mouth is. New pickguard (Mojoaxe 5 ply BCBCB) on my Heritage H535 P90. I have to thank Paul (forum member Skydog) for sending me the correct template for my model, and also for hipping me to the fact that Dan at Mojoaxe had some Black/Cream 5 ply material to give my pickguard a more vintage look and a better match for my guitar. Most old Gibsons that I love have pickguard plastics that age slightly different than the bindings and I've always loved that look, which mine is sporting now!

PGFar.jpg.602794a1bddf4665ca3b0b4b0dbde8e8.jpg

Here's an old '61 Gibson ES330, check out the different colors of the guard and the binding...

ES330PG.thumb.jpg.8fc35371c4549ed7bf513bd4175fa6ba.jpg

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I made the decision to add a pickguard to my 535 last year after going six years without one.  But when my 535 was build, Heritage went away from the wooden pickguards and were using a single-ply ugly black pickguard that resembled but was nothing like the original style.

Heritage since changed the design completely, updated their hardware, and moved to a 5 ply B-W-B-W-B pickguard.  While I love it, I don't like there wasn't a Black & Cream option or gold hardware.  I may look into a different company for the right materials that match my guitar.  Hardware isn't as noticeable as the pickguard.

IMG_1377.jpeg

Edited by DetroitBlues

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, JayLo said:

Skydog52, I love that new pickguard. How much does MojoAx charge for it incl. the hardware?

$70 includes mounting hardware.