Jump to content
Heritage Owners Club

NGD: 1994 H-157 all glammed up


Recommended Posts

I bought this a little while back in close to unplayed condition.  It has a belly cut, one piece back, abalone inlays, and Ren's VIP circuit.  The hardware was chrome.  The original pickups were SD 59s, and there were old from the times the winder put his/her initials on the back of the pups.  The neck is a medium D carve IMO.

This guitar was fine the way it was, but I don't like the way 59s split and the phase reversal of the VIP circuit wasn't of use to me.  I bought it with some ideas in mind.

I took it to my local luthier extraordinaire  He took the hardware off, put some clear coat on a few spots, and buffed it out.  He then exchanged all of the chrome with gold.  I had him put in SD P-Rails and gold partial covers.  They were put in with the neck pup facing the contrary direction that it was intended for, a popular choice for great sound.  The gold partial covers hide the Seymour Duncan name so that you can't see the neck pup is flipped and look good anyway.  They don't cover the rail and should not affect tone.

The mini toggles engage the P-90 coil in the up position, both coils in the middle, and the rail in the down.

I'm very happy with how it looks, plays and sounds.  There are those who disparage P-Rails.  Fortunately for them, they can buy whatever they want and spout their opinions freely.  These pickups do all that I ask.

The pics are not the best quality but you'll get the sense of the transformation.  

 

 

  

2020-04-08_21-18-49.jpg

2020-04-08_21-21-06.jpg

20200616_210921_resized.jpg

20200616_210900_resized.jpg

20200616_211005_resized.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

nice looking, I saw a model with belly cut like that in Lodon a while back
interesting configuration too

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Welcome back Mark.  That one is a top notch example of what Heritage can do. Old and New.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks fine. Glad to see you back on here!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

hey!! Welcome back Martygrass!

good to see your name up when I logged in today

and that is a fine looking gtr!

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, rockabilly69 said:

I'm all for modding the guitar to do what you want it to do! Great job!

I know you have a long history of taking a good Heritage, making some mods, and pushing some fine sounds out of it.

A great feature of the electric guitar is the ability to change it up.  It is a versatile tool and a work of art, just like my car (I wish!).

 

 

 

Fins_1959_Cadillac_7801_0001.jpg

Edited by MartyGrass
  • Upvote 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, golferwave said:

The era of the big ole fins!

era of design over form and function

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, MartyGrass said:

I know you have a long history of taking a good Heritage, making some mods, and pushing some fine sounds out of it.

A great feature of the electric guitar is the ability to change it up.  It is a versatile tool and a work of art, just like my car (I wish!).

 

 

 

Fins_1959_Cadillac_7801_0001.jpg

I've never talked about a car my friend actually gave me, but I guess now is about as good of a time as ever. Years ago I wrote a song called Cadillac Car and my good friend Scott loved the lyrics of the song so much he vowed, that one day, he would find a car for me and fix it up, so I could live out my dream. Well he did it.

Here's the song...

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=6629217

 

Dan and the 59.jpg

The 59.jpg

Edited by rockabilly69
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, rockabilly69 said:

I've never talked about a car my friend actually gave me, but I guess now is about as good of a time as ever. Years ago I wrote a song called Cadillac Car and my good friend Scott loved the lyrics of the song so much that he vowed, that one day, he would find a car for me and fix it up, so I could live out my dream. Well he did it.

Here's the song...

https://www.soundclick.com/music/songInfo.cfm?songID=6629217

 

Dan and the 59.jpg

The 59.jpg

Wow.  That's amazing.  What a good friend the both of you are.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DetroitBlues said:

Wow.  That's amazing.  What a good friend the both of you are.

To tell you the truth the gift overwhelmed me, so I told him we should make a video of my song with the car, and then he should sell it. It's not that I don't love it, as it's pretty damn cool. But I been having a hard time accepting such an expensive gift like this, as he put a lot of money in to it! This guy loves building cars and he could take the money and do another cool car for himself. But he's taking a stance on this so I may have to keep it :)

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, rockabilly69 said:

To tell you the truth the gift overwhelmed me, so I told him we should make a video of my song with the car, and then he should sell it. It's not that I don't love it, as it's pretty damn cool. But I been having a hard time accepting such an expensive gift like this, as he put a lot of money in to it! This guy loves building cars and he could take the money and do another cool car for himself. But he's taking a stance on this so I may have to keep it :)

Totally goes with the vibe of you music though.  Roll up to a gig with that car and no one will doubt why you are there when you pull a guitar case out of that small apartment sized trunk.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DetroitBlues said:

Totally goes with the vibe of you music though.  Roll up to a gig with that car and no one will doubt why you are there when you pull a guitar case out of that small apartment sized trunk.

Haha no doubting that!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Very cool Caddy, Daniel!  And what better way for a fan to express their appreciation for your talent?

You are in good company with that ride.  Here's another singer-guitarist posing with one of his many Caddys...also a 4-door.

1955 Cadillac ♡ Chuck Berry.  Photographer unknown

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

'59 Caddys RULE!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...